Anchor Chain Length

Kruzenvax

Hi all,

I got that feeling that the chain on my anchor may be too short (so that may be the reason for anchoring to be less reliable than I would want). What would you say is the right length for a 4.6 bowrider in a typical depth is nor more than 30m?

Thanks

Thanks Stewy,

The chain feels heavy enough, but I believe (about to go to the boat and measure) I have less than 3-4m. I have that plough-like anchor and I do let a lot of rope out; I just feel I have to let out too much rope to get a grip... whis is somtimes a problem in tight spaces.

If my suspicions are correct I'll buy a 3.5 m chain as you suggest.

As the chain gets so heavy to keep lifting manually ( anchor boy complains) if we keep moving sites we only shackle the second chain length on if we don't hold or are doing an overnighter. Now if the anchor boy would just grow some muscles.

You can change the way the rope lays and pull angle on the anchor by about 30 feet above the anchor just attaching 2 feet of chain lashed to anchor rope. It acts a s a shock absorber of sorts and makes your radius of swing much smaller. It can however catch you more on reefy areas if your boat swings a lot. Do a search for "anchor Buddy" on google and you'll see the principal what larger yachts do so they don't have to pay out heaps of rope but it isn't worth buying one just using the principal. .

Edited by pelican

Hi all,

What would you say is the right length for a 4.6 bowrider in a typical depth is not more than 30m?

Thanks

For rope , the rule of thumb is 3 times the depth so in 30mt there should be 90mt of rope released.

As for the chain , the others are generally correct. The guide used is , chain length should be approx the same length of the boat.

Have you checked that the anchor is the correct size for the boat. I tried to go light weight & changed my sand anchor & it would not hold bottom , changed back to the heavier anchor & now all OK.

For a 4.6 mt boat the recomonded size for a sand anchor is 3.6kg. Personally I would go up to the next size , 4.5kg

Geoff