Harbour Rat King Jigged Off Wreck

plankton

Following an unsuccesful session catching squid (usual spot taken by another boat who lands at least 10) caught yakkas and dropped them on a known Harbour wreck. Live baiting for 2hrs with Kings under the boat for no results. The yakkas were going berko so I knew the kings were scaring them, but no takers. Just as we are about to leave I threw a 300g jig on the rod, lowered it down... twitch twitch and a small 60cm King engulfs it. A few pics and back into the water... very surprised that Kings would take jigs in the Harbour, especially small ones in shallow water.

The other peculiar thing I saw was a really big bannana prawn swimming along the top of the water outside Camp Cove. Great to see the marine life thriving in the harbour. It seemed to be struggling to swim downwards, but still managed to escape my attempted grasping - would have made a fantastic Jewie bait.

Only managed a huge Tailor (70cm) and a few Sargent Baker for the day (they went back).

Edited by plankton

The other peculiar thing I saw was a really big bannana prawn swimming along the top of the water outside Camp Cove. Great to see the marine life thriving in the harbour. It seemed to be struggling to swim downwards, but still managed to escape my attempted grasping - would have made a fantastic Jewie bait.

Would have made a fantastic Kingy bait, if you had peeled it. :biggrin2:

penguin

Following an unsuccesful session catching squid (usual spot taken by another boat who lands at least 10) caught yakkas and dropped them on a known Harbour wreck. Live baiting for 2hrs with Kings under the boat for no results. The yakkas were going berko so I knew the kings were scaring them, but no takers. Just as we are about to leave I threw a 300g jig on the rod, lowered it down... twitch twitch and a small 60cm King engulfs it. A few pics and back into the water... very surprised that Kings would take jigs in the Harbour, especially small ones in shallow water.

Only managed a huge Tailor (70cm) and a few Sargent Baker for the day (they went back).

Unusual the kings not to smash the live bait but hit the jig.

Mike.

They seem to be doing weird things in the harbour lately.

Did you get a pic of the tailor? Thats a great fish.

Mate its been well over a month since i've had a kingie take a live yakka ... and i have em out pretty much all the time ... been getting tons of rats with plastics and frozen squid strips ... but absolutely zilch on the yakkas!

Nice work on the kings :thumbup:

The yakkas are great at the moment but they have to be bigger than 10cm to keep them away from all the rats. A mate of mine picked up a few 70+cm kingys the week before last all on yakkas, they were all fished VERY deep and average size of the yakkas was 20cm. Still love seeing yakkas get smashed. lol

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

Tried various spots around the harbour on sunday with live bait ,squid fresh and frozen squid and lots of hope and no kings,headed to bantry bay for a go while haveing some lunch fresh cooked prawns,throwing the heads and shells overboard ,it was like feeding pidgeons in hyde park ,the only difference the pidgeons were bloody kinghies ,they were like a swarm around the boat ,dropped squid ,live yakkas right in front of them they would have a look at the bait then swim away .Cheers Laurie.