Sydney Harbour Gets An Inking

squidboy

Hit the Harbour this morning for some green eyed monsters in need for jews in the months ahead. We started off very slow at 1:30am with only one squid per spot we turned up too. We managed two larger squid under lights and then nothing for two hours. This was starting to look like a long day with only 5 in the live well.

Headed off to a point where we managed 6 squid cast after cast and we thought we were onto a good spot, this was about all the squid in this spot apparently cause we wasted another 40 odd minutes trying to find thier companions.

Towards the back end of the session we managed a few pairings of the green eyed pulses but it seems the harbour was slow for squid today.

All up we landed 30 squid and enough for some serious jew sessions this coming winter. There are some photos below of the critters :biggrin2:

post-2763-1231234274_thumb.jpg

post-2763-1231234291_thumb.jpg

Awesome going mate!!

To date i have had a brand new orange squid jig in my tackle box for 8 months and have never bothered using it.

Little wonder i don't get much in way of jewie or kingie enquiries,

It's time for me to try something new and try for squid.

Thanks for your post squidboy as i have a week off work next week with my son and have been undecided how i will plan my fishing sessions.

Take care

Dougs77

Hi Dougs777,

Orange is my favourite colour when working the water columns for squid at the moment. If you manage some live squid the kings and jews love them as bait alve or very fresh. Stick with the kelp beds round middle head for the bigger ones and smaller ones are normally found on rocky shorelines throughout the whole harbour.

Spend time with your son on the water, seriously when my dad gets a chance to come out it ends up being the greatset of days.

Cheers

Squidboy

hmmm in my oppinion, salt and pepper squid is much better tasting than any jewie :1prop:

ps i am so envious of you guys. welldone

pps does anyone know a killer salt and pepper squid recipe?

Have the same problem with my wife on this issue. She cannot fathom why anyone would want to use squid as bait.

Well done on the squid fellas.

Hi mate,

Just need to say that - if I had caught that many squid I would make sure I keep them away from air exposure and I'd ether vacuum seal or freeze them, normally I do about three to six at a time, in salt water and ink.

This is assuming I'm not feeding twelve children and I'm using the squid as bait for Kingfish.

There are fewer and fewer squid in the harbour during the summer months and in my opinion we need to make sure that we use them well and not over fish the population!

After all, opinions are like arseholes – everyone has one.

Regards,

Andrew

[

After all, opinions are like arseholes – everyone has one.

Regards,

Andrew

Hahahahahahaha...... Never a truer word said.

PS.. In my house, you even have to hide the yakkas from the :wife: . Squid for bait, I dont think so!!!

I have already tried that one. :1wallbash:

PS.. In my house, you even have to hide the yakkas from the :wife: . Squid for bait, I dont think so!!!

I have already tried that one. :1wallbash:

Hmm I also have the issue of the wife eating my bait and whats worse, she has come home from the fish shop with yakkas that she has paid for to eat. (Japanese) :wife:

In the name of world peace i have learned not to be critical of this much as it goes against the grain.

Nice run of squid there, need to get my squidding technique up to scratch.

Edited by Austwave

I agree with you Andrew and that is why I take about one or two squid from each of the schools we encounter. Mind you we were two people fishing so we were under the total of 40 squid we were allowed. Every other weekend I do catch and release on these inkers but 1 haul since Ocotober last year sounded alright.