Flaking Flow Coat

harrold101

i did a flow coat on the floor on my boat im working on about 6 months ago and havent touched it since

i looked at it a couple of days ago and in one section the paint had flaked and started to come off. :thumbdown:

just wondering if anyone knows how to repair this should i just repeat the steps again (acnetone then another coat) or is there a way to do it.

heres a pic:

post-6390-1231578219_thumb.jpg

Edited by samythesamlon

In my opinion flowcoat is a really inflexible and not that hard a wearing coating when done as a after as it is hard to get it to bond perfectly with the old surface and can be really slippery. Temperature and correct mixing, curing or preparation make getting flowcoat long lasting a hard call. Any flex in the floor will make it come off prematurely.

A marine deck paint will bond better with the right preparation and with some added garnet (sand grit) with probably give a easier to apply and slip proof deck that will last longer. For high quality paint (some 2 part epoxy etc) have a chat to a company called scomar ( paint distributer) . Prices are expensive but products are quality which is what you need in heavy wear areas like floors and quick brush or roller on like normal paint makes applicaton easy and also reapplication easy as quality paints hold their colour so you can touch up.

If you do go the flow coat you can add a small amount of styrene monomer ( careful with this stuff) as a thinner to get it to flow off the brush and get a better finish.

Edited by pelican

I use brush on gelcoat but you need to really go at the surface to be repaired. I use a 40grit flap disc on a grinder (bunnings about $7-8 each). Get a good key on the surface, don't use acetone to clean it just vacuum dust away and gelcoat straight away. You will have to add a wax to the gelcoat to prevent it remaining sticky and attracting all kinds of dirt and grit. I then usually use a stick to flick another colour over it to break up any brush marks and blend it in. Been running my boat for 5yrs now with this technique and its as good as the day I did it. Hope this helps.

Fitzy