Accidentally Removed Picasa Program From Computer

arpie

Hi guys

I have a buddy from Perth with us till Fri morning & they have stored all their Round Aussie pics on Picasa ..... but have accidentally removed the progam & now fear they have lost all their photos forever! :(

They are on WIndows Vista

Any ideas of whether they can recover the program and/or still have their pics somehow, as they deleted them from the camera as they put them onto Picasa! :(

Hope you may be able to help

Cheerio

RP

Edited by Roberta

dont use the computer because when deleteing files from a computer it does not actually "delete" the files from your harddrive it marks them as rewritable so the harddrive can write over them. There is programs you can use to retrieve deleted files on harddrives but im not sure of the program name, i probs have it around my house somewhere but using it is another probelm. Your best bet if they are very important photos is to take it to your local Pc store and see if they can give it a go.

Ill look for the program to see if i can find it somewhere around here and let you know.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Cory

Tell your friends not to worry. There are plenty of good data recovery programs around, some have free trials for 7 or 30 days etc. I have recovered deleted .jpgs & other files using System Mechanic pro (vista). The process is slow however, a 'let it run overnight' sort of thing.

Main thing is not to worry, the files should be recoverable

Thanks for that Cory. I have googled "Picasa3 removed" & it seems that many people who click on "Update Picasa3" have had the same thing happen to them ..... Picasa2 disappears with all the pics instead of transferring them across to Picasa3!!

I've never used it myself, but I know lots of folk do use 'off site' storage for their pics, so BEWARE.

Cheers

Roberta

They are trying System Mechanic Pro now :wacko:

Thanks for your help guys

Seems it has been happening to quite a few people when they 'upgrade' from Picasa2 to PICASA3 it virtually crashes .... when you try to get into it, it all appears to be GORN!! Even tho the icon is still on your desktop, it says 'no such program'!

However, Picasa only re-arranges your pics into folders, it does not store them in cyberspace. They are still on your HD. So eventually he downloaded Picasa again & found the pics, but they had been mixed up a bit ...... better than losing them tho! :wacko:

Cheerio

Roberta

Glad they were found.

Photos are too important not to have them both hard and soft backed up. Grab a portable hard drive and save all photos and documents onto it into a file and also burn complete contents onto DVD on quality archive DVD's and duplicate. Check both are working and then put them into a secure fire proof safe with the second set of DVD somewhere off site - Cildrens / parents house.

We have started scanning negatives - old ones - and hope by the end of this year to also have them all digitised so we have them forever and can store them more compactly and securely.

Gives you such a good feeling looking at old photos I would hate to loose all the memoriesand it is so cheap to do now. I don't think people understand just how quickly they can be lost with a virus, fire , theft , error deleting, program malfunction and so on. Can't believe how many friends in business just don't do it with all thier business records as well - some real disasters

Hi Pel

....Photos are too important not to have them both hard and soft backed up. Grab a portable hard drive and save all photos and documents onto it into a file and also burn complete contents onto DVD on quality archive DVD's and duplicate. Check both are working and then put them into a secure fire proof safe with the second set of DVD somewhere off site - Cildrens / parents house. .......

Excellent advise, Pel - My buddy went out today & bought a portable usb run 150gig hd & will get a bigger one when he arrives home in Perth for his desktop system. He also got a multi card reader as well, so he didn't have to download from the camera, just the card.

I have my ext hard drive (with the intention of backing up regularly or at least put all my pics on there ...... ) but when I put the pics on it, they become thumbnails instead of full copies! :(maybe this is a mac thing ...... I hate computers!!!) :wacko::tease::mad3:

Good to see the happy campers ....... his wife was not happy when she heard initially ....... all is good now! :)

Cheerio

Roberta