Wiring Trailer Light Problems

lighthouse2k

I have just installed some led lights. Can't get one set to work properly. Left side fine. Right side red park light good, indicator good. As soon as the brake pedal goes on lose park light, indicator on r/h side. Release and both indicator and red light come back on.

Any clues?

I have just installed some led lights. Can't get one set to work properly. Left side fine. Right side red park light good, indicator good. As soon as the brake pedal goes on lose park light, indicator on r/h side. Release and both indicator and red light come back on.

Any clues?

I had dramas with mine too. Similar sort of setup, things would go haywire when I put the parkers on (which also lit up the number plate light on the right). Ended up that when I was doing it I pulled off the connectors to finish off and the actual connector that the number plate bulb presses against to earth it and the + wire pushed onto had come out and I couldn't work out how to put it back, so put it in the way I thought - ends up I put it back the wrong way and the earth and + were crossed on the the number plate globe, which only caused problems with the power was applied to that circuit (parkers put on, hence applying power to the number plate globe). I'd say you have a similar problem somewhere. Take a deep breath, have a rest, then have another look when you aren't hot and bothered. Don't do it in the heat today or you will get the poos and throw something!!! :)

Where are you? If you're in the shire I could be a second set of eyes to have a look for you.

Edited by wonniefisho

There must be some contact somewhere. I ran another set of cables through it and it works ok. Just didn't fancy rewiring the trailer. What a drain!

Often the original mechanics wiring the trailer did a dodgy job, especially joining the cables causing short circuits.

Run separate cables with the left and right trailer. do it once and do it proper and you wouldn't have any problems.

I found a rotting joint on my trailer once, re-wired the whole trailer took me a few hours with a mate's help.So glad we did it.

Edited by bmar560

There must be some contact somewhere. I ran another set of cables through it and it works ok. Just didn't fancy rewiring the trailer. What a drain!

Your going to have to go over the whole wiring system. My be hard to find the fault. If the wiring is old it may be worth rewiring the whole thing or it will keep having problems.

You know whats funny, I see more boat trailers on the road with lights not working properly then all working. hahaha

You know whats funny, I see more boat trailers on the road with lights not working properly then all working. hahaha

too true

how many must just drive away without checking

not worth risking a fine

or having someone run up your a######e

It may be as simple as a poor earth connection. Some trailers rely on the negative (or earth) to come through via the trailer body (tow ball to car connection) while most have a separate negative (earth) wire from the trailer plug. To test connect a wire from the car body to the trailer body making sure you have a good connection on both sides, better still run the wire to the LED light.

If it works you will need to trace all the earth connections and make sure they are connected properly.