Sweep - Great Eating!

olitay

Took the little ones to the Aquarium today and saw this sign, couldnt help but take a pic. They are apparently good eating? Ive always thrown mine back!

to tell you the truth, they aren't too bad!

i steam mine with ginger and shallots. in a seperate pan, heat soy sauce and oil. then pour over the fish

I don't bait up with plankton so I wish they would leave my dam bait alone. Better change thet sign to read - eats anything and gets there first and invites best buddy dining partner Mr Lreatherjacket. How big do you need them to make it a meal?

I don't bait up with plankton so I wish they would leave my dam bait alone. Better change thet sign to read - eats anything and gets there first and invites best buddy dining partner Mr Lreatherjacket. How big do you need them to make it a meal?

:Funny-Post:

I have baught some large specimens home in the past and gave them to

the old pensioners in the block of units next door, they all liked them, and

always ask for more when they see me ready to go fishing.

penguin

• Like 1

I have baught some large specimens home in the past and gave them to

the old pensioners in the block of units next door, they all liked them, and

always ask for more when they see me ready to go fishing.

penguin

I'm not sure about the hiding power of ginger and shallots, but if people like sweep so much that they ask for more it seems that among other things eating sweep might cause short term memory loss :biggrin2:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Went to a restaurant last week that had sweep on the menu and no it wasn't an Asian place either. I played it safe and had some garfish which was awesome. Keen to try sweep at some stage tho ... give at least 1 chance.

Caine

nah, there crap.

every couple of years you look at em and say "they cant be that bad" and take some home on a desperate day. and when you cook them up you say"these things really are crap" and vow never again.

but feel free everyone,take home as many as you want.

Aparently they are really good live and fillet bait for kingies Met an old man at a boat ramp at dolans who went fishing the entrance to the hacking for kingies and he said for 30 years i have fished sydney i think sweep are the best bait for kingies and he showed me his 5 massive kingies he had caught biggest 113cm's and smallest 101cm's

I asked him kingies eat sweeps fillets and he replied yea they love it and so do the snapper then he pulls out a massive 60cm+ snapper i ask him dont you think squid mackerel and yellowtail are better but he says nothing can beat the old sweep

I was surprised since the are so crap eatting :thumbdown: (Although ok steamed) why do fish like em

Maybe i should try sweep for kingies they are easier to catch than yakkas and slimmeys

A.dawg~~~

I wouldnt keep the smaller ones....but the larger ones are worth targeting....

Not only are larger sweep worth leaving in crab traps they probably can also be used successfully as clay pigeons, thank you, now I can finish my breakfast.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

sweep, as A.dawg said, are actually quite useful as bait, many species including bream, trevally, snapper and possibly Kingfish will take sweep fillets or live small sweep.

i have caught some smaller trevs and smaller snapper on sweep strips.

the eating qualities though, are not very good

• 3 weeks later...

nah, there crap.

every couple of years you look at em and say "they cant be that bad" and take some home on a desperate day. and when you cook them up you say"these things really are crap" and vow never again.

but feel free everyone,take home as many as you want.

Couldn't have put it better myself...

Cheers

Ben

firstly. they are called sweep, cause they are floor grime..

secondly. they are on the good eating list so they are eradicated..yeah right!

thirdly.. :1prop: they hang around jackets so they might get friends! :thumbdown:

fourthly. :wacko::1prop::thumbup: they just suck!

bait nickin newcastle buggers :ranting2:

..cheers!..stevo!..

P.S. the family cat (catguts)...just luvs em!...... :biggrin2:

Edited by fishguts

• 13 years later...
  • 10 months later...