30 Year Makeover

JeffMc

I hope I can post the pics.

This was one I posted early last year before I crashed. If it works I'll add the boat after I take a couple of pics over the weekend. :05:

The trailer was built in 1975 by boeing. The only surface rust was on the axle and springs. I decided to strip it down and paint it to make it look a bit better.

post-535-1109941379_thumb.jpg

post-535-1109941414_thumb.jpg

Edited by JeffMc

Here is my 30-year-old rig before and after her makeover.

She aint as pretty as some of the nice rigs you guys have but hell she gets me out on the water and fishing with a mate :1fishing1:

One things for sure I'll never strip back another tinny too much $#%&@ work, and not being used to spray painting I got a few stuff ups but what the hell she floats and since the new paint job she goes faster :thumbup:

I bought the rig from a mate at golf last year, he had it for about 15-20 years but didn't use it that often. When I got it home I went to run the motor but no go :ranting2: I figured the problem would be in the fuel as it didn't smell the best, so I drained the tank and lines and stripped the carbie. I was surprised there was not a sign of gum build up in the float bowl. New fuel and a couple of new fuel hoses and 3 pulls she fired into life.

The Boat is a Brooker 4.3 metre built in 1975. I went to the factory to see if they would give me a couple of stickers just to finish it off and they said, that boat would have been built at Chatswood by the original Mr Brooker.

The power plant is a Johnson 25hp built in 1974 she takes 2 to 3 pulls to get started from cold, but once under way she fires up 1st pull :biggrin2:

:D

post-535-1109995613_thumb.jpg

post-535-1109995660_thumb.jpg

post-535-1109995684_thumb.jpg

Guest Jocool

Thats a real neat looking effort Jeff! I'll bet it fishes just like a new $15K dinghy! :thumbup: Gotta be happy with that.

Just as an aside, I was fortunate enough to have given to me some forward controls and steering of a motor about that vintage from Fishing Couple who is a member on this site. If you ever feel the need to convert to forward control, I have the motor controls that you are welcome to. The steering will be utilised on my boat. :thumbup:

Just as an aside, I was fortunate enough to have given to me some forward controls and steering of a motor about that vintage from Fishing Couple who is a member on this site. If you ever feel the need to convert to forward control, I have the motor controls that you are welcome to. The steering will be utilised on my boat. :thumbup:

34901[/snapback]

I might take you up on that I was thinking of putting in forward steering. Thanks and we live close by :thumbup:

Edited by JeffMc

Guest Jocool
Nice work mate. I did my trailer last year and it too came up a treat.

34923[/snapback]

Iain...was your trailer the one I read about on another forum? You did a blow by blow on rebuilding it? I been hunting that article down for ages...and cant locate it! :thumbdown:

Jocool, Not sure if it was the article I posted when I put the makeover on the trailer in here, that was 3 memberships ago :05: I seem to lose it when there's an upgrade.

I remember Iain was concerned about getting the boat off and back on again to do his trailer up. Just yell if I can be of any help.

It's a lot easier doing a trailer than the boat. :1beer:

Guest MarkD
Hey Mark, how did you edit your post without it saying "this post has been edited by MarkD" :huh:

...........unless Ken did :biggrin2:

34918[/snapback]

Well spotted clutch! first post was late friday after a few

:beersmile::beersmile: not sure why it didnt say it was edited...

You must get a certain amount of pride running round in a 30 year old boat that still goes like new.  I expect it must really fly with 25 horses on the back ??

34921[/snapback]

She goes well pedro not sure how many knots it does but doesn't take long to get from Brooklyn out into Broken bay :whip:

I will probably sell it in about 18 months I want to get something bigger to take my son and his twin boys out. There only 9 months old :1yikes: but I figure at 2 or 3 they should enjoy a day fishing. Never too young to start a sport that you can do your whole life. :1fishing1: