Jim Bream

jim bream

Hi guys sorry about the late post, but the computer running as slow as botany bay, i had to fix it. Bream are very hard to find at the moment, caught 7 bream, 3 whiting, 2 flathead, 2 flounder, a trevelly and 6 octupus. Again most of the fish caught at the bottom of the bay, the only thing i caught at the drums were the octopus, and they were good size too. There seems to be some good whiting getting about with 2 i caught over 40 cm. I'm going to give it a rest for a few weeks and see if the bream fishing gets better. Most of the bream out there seem to be just over 25cm alot under i threw back 7 and a couple were just over 30 cm but most of bream are small.

Regards Jim

post-6195-1232351860_thumb.jpg

post-6195-1232351887_thumb.jpg

post-6195-1232351946_thumb.jpg

post-6195-1232351957_thumb.jpg

post-6195-1232352173_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim bream

Jim Bream

Well done on the catch. I was out on the 3rd runway early Sunday and there were quite a few breams there and yes there were a lot of small ones around 25cm which were thrown back to get bigger.At the drums try fishing into your burley trail with either no weight and feeding the line out or a small ball bearing lead shot, we(me and big pommy ben) caught heaps of trevs and rat kings there on Sunday.

A question Jim, how do you "kill"/"dispose" of octopus when you catch them. I cut the line on first one on Sunday that I caught as it was a hugh one and the second one, I dropped the pliers overboard when trying to unhook and release it. Its tentacles made a grab for my fingers/hand and that was it, I flicked it off as quick as I could and it together with the pliers went in the drink.Pommy Ben couldn't stop laughing at my expense :074: . I shudder at the thought of a live one wrapping itself around my hands. I think I have octopus phobia.I can handle them when they are dead and love them BBQed.

Regards Kit

Jim Bream

Well done on the catch. I was out on the 3rd runway early Sunday and there were quite a few breams there and yes there were a lot of small ones around 25cm which were thrown back to get bigger.At the drums try fishing into your burley trail with either no weight and feeding the line out or a small ball bearing lead shot, we(me and big pommy ben) caught heaps of trevs and rat kings there on Sunday.

A question Jim, how do you "kill"/"dispose" of octopus when you catch them. I cut the line on first one on Sunday that I caught as it was a hugh one and the second one, I dropped the pliers overboard when trying to unhook and release it. Its tentacles made a grab for my fingers/hand and that was it, I flicked it off as quick as I could and it together with the pliers went in the drink.Pommy Ben couldn't stop laughing at my expense :074: . I shudder at the thought of a live one wrapping itself around my hands. I think I have octopus phobia.I can handle them when they are dead and love them BBQed.

Regards Kit

When i was a deckie on a prawn trawler, my first trip being the newbie, had a occy thrown on me when i was wearing nothing but shorts. now this was the biggest occy ive ever seen must of been no worries 3 foot long probably 4 and it just grabbed me and i couldnt get it off. :1welcomeani: all in fun though but the strength was unbelievable.

Jim Bream

Regards Kit

Hi Kit

i dont enjoy catching them or handling the octopus but i do enjoy eating them, they made a mess of the boat, they made a mess of me and when i dropped them into the esky when they saw the fish they just squirted ink everywhere. Its a weird feeling when your handling them the suction cups start to wrap around your hands and there just so hard to get off. The way to kill them ive been told but i dont use this practice is to bite them somewhere on the head a old guy told me, i wont be doing that. I caught them drifting with yabbie bait i knew they where there because a friend of mine told me, Ive caught octopus there previously a few years back now and then they seem to hang around in the exact spot.

cheers jim

Hi Kit

i dont enjoy catching them or handling the octopus but i do enjoy eating them, they made a mess of the boat, they made a mess of me and when i dropped them into the esky when they saw the fish they just squirted ink everywhere. Its a weird feeling when your handling them the suction cups start to wrap around your hands and there just so hard to get off. The way to kill them ive been told but i dont use this practice is to bite them somewhere on the head a old guy told me, i wont be doing that. I caught them drifting with yabbie bait i knew they where there because a friend of mine told me, Ive caught octopus there previously a few years back now and then they seem to hang around in the exact spot.

cheers jim

hi guys i was told you turn their hoods inside out and drop them into an ice slurry and this will slow them down .........but when handling them take care as that beak of theirs will take you to the bone

cheers j