22/01/08 Mobiles, Kingfish And Shark!

Chewy

The harbour is firing!!

Caught a squid, loads of yakka - hit clifton gardens!!

Moored next a charter and was leaning over the side - when my mobile made a break for freedom. Dived in after it and caught it on the way down!!

As i got out of the water - a charter boat next to us was stunned when a 6-8 foot shark (i'd call it for a bronzie) broke the surface next to the charter....

After much abuse for being in the water fishing resumed...... Now my boatie Polly is now shattered as his arvo swim will never be reinacted in the harbour again!!

Two mins later my good luck hat blew off..... guess who couldnt help himself - yes me... went in to get it...

After much abuse from the charter again we got down to some serious fishing...

Anyhow - loads of takes and a few boated rat kingies later - we were all smiles!!

The kingies were prefering fresh squid on very light gear... 25 mins per rat on 10 pound tackle!! But they were also prone to prawns....

Anyhow - general concensus is that the harbour is firing!!

Hope the mobile recovers - its currently drying out.... but it was worth it!!!

Sorry no photos... besides... who wants to see my rats..... I'm waiting for the hoods.....

Chewy

Edited by Chewy

Thank you Chewy

Mate it was great reading your post, after both your mobile and lucky hat went in the drink and that you kept your cool and fished on. All the times that i have had a mishap trying to get some decent fish seem so silly and a waste of energy now.

Hope you get a chunky hoodlum next time your on the water.

Dougs77

Hi mate,

Seeing a shark in the harbour is a bit of a concern, but probably logical with all the kingies about and the water temperature. I like to have a afternoon swim as well so I'll stay close to the beach from now on.

Good to hear your enjoying catching lots of kingies. I have caught 10 this summer with only the one being legal. Good fun, but just too many rats around.

Cheers,

Andrew

Great Report and bad luck with the phone but, dont worry, The phone will work again. On christmas eve i accidently left my phone in the pocket of my shorts and put them on a soak cycle in the machine. 3 hrs later i worked out it was in the machine and ready for the dryer. Anyhow long story short. It turned on 10 days later and didnt loose anything. Couldnt believe it.

Good Luck!!!!!!

sorry mate but the fone will be history! 2 days after i got my motorolla v9 when they 1st come out and were worth a fortune i got washed off the rocks while drummer fishing, phone was in bucket and hardly got wet but the SALT WATER stuffs em, you can google what to do with water damaged fone there are heaps of ideas but stuffed.

Edited by diver1

The harbour is firing!!

Caught a squid, loads of yakka - hit clifton gardens!!

Moored next a charter and was leaning over the side - when my mobile made a break for freedom. Dived in after it and caught it on the way down!!

As i got out of the water - a charter boat next to us was stunned when a 6-8 foot shark (i'd call it for a bronzie) broke the surface next to the charter....

After much abuse for being in the water fishing resumed...... Now my boatie Polly is now shattered as his arvo swim will never be reinacted in the harbour again!!

Two mins later my good luck hat blew off..... guess who couldnt help himself - yes me... went in to get it...

After much abuse from the charter again we got down to some serious fishing...

Anyhow - loads of takes and a few boated rat kingies later - we were all smiles!!

The kingies were prefering fresh squid on very light gear... 25 mins per rat on 10 pound tackle!! But they were also prone to prawns....

Anyhow - general concensus is that the harbour is firing!!

Hope the mobile recovers - its currently drying out.... but it was worth it!!!

Sorry no photos... besides... who wants to see my rats..... I'm waiting for the hoods.....

Chewy

Chewy

I fell in the brine with the mobile in the pocket recently but quickly soaked it in fresh water(for 30 mins) to get the salt off. Then I took it to a mate in the mobile phone industry who took the phone apart and gave it a good clean up with an alcohol based liquid. He said it was the salt that does the damage to te circuitry. Hope your phone recovers.Main thing is to not to switch it on, until after a good clean up .

Regards Kit

Hi mate,

Seeing a shark in the harbour is a bit of a concern, but probably logical with all the kingies about and the water temperature. I like to have a afternoon swim as well so I'll stay close to the beach from now on.

Good to hear your enjoying catching lots of kingies. I have caught 10 this summer with only the one being legal. Good fun, but just too many rats around.

Cheers,

Andrew

Mate sharks are ALWAYS in the harbour!!!

and always have been

Mate sharks are ALWAYS in the harbour!!!

and always have been

I say - for every shark sighting = less people willing to swim in the harbour = less fish scared away from our fishing grounds = more fish caught by Chewy....

Purely selfish i say - but "Go the sharks!!! "

:-)

Hi all,

I saw a pretty big shark near the roseville bridge recently.

It was in less than 2m of water and had just smashed something near the surface.

I hate to say it but its only a matter of time before someone gets bitten or worse in MH.

It wont be me!

Cheers

Hi

I dive the harbour alot and trust me there are plenty of sharks mostly whalers but have seen the odd bull nothing over 2 meters

on one clean up dive i did last season at manly next to the wharf bar in a period of 3 hrs i saw 18 whalers all about 1.5m and there were heaps of kiddies swimming no more than 40m from them. These kiddies were bit size for these sharks and they could not have been less interested

Adzzy

Well done on the kingys mate! Hope your phone pulls through. Wherever there is water there will always be sharks,,,, in the last 5 years I have witnessed small 3-6ft makos at qurantine knocking off hooked up kingys,,, in 2007 there was a sizable tiger shark hanging off clifton when the kingys were congregating there, mid last year 3 Australian naval divers were forced out of the water off middle head during a exercise by a 3-4m tiger shark,,, 2 years ago a baby 2-3m great white was "accidentally" hooked at qurantine by mates chasing kings ( it was cut free when they realised what it was).

Its only a matter of time,,, but some people will never take heed, like the people I saw a few weeks back swimming from Shark island out to the wedding cake marker on the western elevation of the island. Can someone say berley?

Dan

The charter called it for a tiger.... I was a bit suspect of that call... but perhaps....

Anyhow - :1badmood: prognosis is - 1 dead mobile!!

Insert Sim card.... and its already in....

Oh well... wonder if i can turn it into a lure?

Edited by Chewy

The charter called it for a tiger.... I was a bit suspect of that call... but perhaps....

Anyhow - :1badmood: prognosis is - 1 dead mobile!!

Insert Sim card.... and its already in....

Oh well... wonder if i can turn it into a lure?

At least you got the sim card back. Mine is in 50 feet of water in Bantry Bay after my effort on Tuesday. That top pocket is just so handy until you bend over.

Researched this when my phone was submerged in salt water. :05:

1. Turn off ASAP if it is on.

2. Remove battery

3. Wash with fresh water

4. Soak thoroughly in methylated spirits (alcohol), wash it around to flush out sand etc

5. Leave to dry minimum 3 days with battery out

6. See if it works! Probably a 60% chance if it was off to start with, or was turned off quickly.

I was successful with my mobile, however 6 months later it died.

Good luck! :fishing1:

Regards,

MP