Australia Day Yellow Belly

Grebbo

Hi Raiders,

Quick report for the Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra for the Australia Day long weekend.

The Redfin are firing hard at the moment due to the warm weather and the warm water, surface temp was 29 deg this afternoon. Myself and a couple of my mates managed to fish in rather windy conditions for approximately 2 ½ hours, anchored off my favourite spot I managed to bag a nice 1.7kg 44cm Yellow Belly and together with my mates several good size reddies,

post-1420-1232968574_thumb.jpg

post-1420-1232968605_thumb.jpg

Nice work Grebbo, I fished LBG all weekend as well. A mate and I were just flicking spinners at the edge of the lake and walking them along the walls out the front of the sailing club. We ended up with about 30-40 redfin all very small.

All I seem to be able to get is reddies out of that lake :mad3:

Can I ask how you got the yellowbelly? lure or bait?

Cheers

Steve

post-9538-1233004646_thumb.jpg

Nice work Grebbo, I fished LBG all weekend as well. A mate and I were just flicking spinners at the edge of the lake and walking them along the walls out the front of the sailing club. We ended up with about 30-40 redfin all very small.

All I seem to be able to get is reddies out of that lake :mad3:

Can I ask how you got the yellowbelly? lure or bait?

Cheers

Steve

Thanks guys,

It would appear that the warmer weather really get the lake going, I fish there all yare round And must say that the winter period is definitively no were near as productive.

With the Reddies you really need to go a bit deeper especially on the warmer days as you will find the bigger ones around the 5 to 7 meter, the Governor Generals is a good spot for larger Reddies also if you have a look at this map of the lake available here http://downloads.nationalcapital.gov.au/ex...terWays_map.pdf , you will be able to see the old river before the lake was flooded, that’s were you will find majority of Natives and Reddies.

The Yellow Belly was caught on a hard body lure; the same that I have used to catch countless amounts of Reddies on, it’s a large-ish bib lure 3 to 4 m, brown on top, yellow and red on the belly, a very versatile lure.

Again the lure was taken just by the boat, I think the Yellow Belly follow the lure till the very end and then strike, awesome fighting fish on light tackle

post-1420-1233014668_thumb.jpg