Big Blue!

hotbite

Hi Raiders

Just got back from an extra long weekend in Port Stephens where the boat I fish on Marquis is based for the next month. I have been going there for over 20 years now but mostly alittle later when the Interclub is on.

This year will be one that all of us on the boat will never forget............

Fished on Saturday 24th for all zero's,saving a couple of stripe tuna. Water was green in close,19 degrees, not good. Get out to 90 fathoms & we find a massive temp break & it jumps up to 24.3 degrees! with the current rageing from the north at 4 knots....Very hard to fish in.

Sunday was a wipe out due to the southerly though some boats did go out.

Australia Day: Light wind&alittle misty rain greeted us at Tomeree Head as we pushed out to sea. Hopes up for a good day. Water has improved with 22 degrees in 40 fathoms.Temp slowly climbs up the further we push out. Now 25.6 degrees in 120 fathoms. We get out to around 230 fathoms east of the carpark, Steve on the deck yells out,"right rigger,look at that swirl! It's a big fish". All eyes are now fixed on our lures & I yell out "On the shotgun!" A huge blue/gold shape appears briefly only to drop out of sight.

What happens next will be with us for ever...... :1yikes:

The Animal jumps on the left rigger.......A Huge Blue Marlin........Comes completely out of the water no less than 30 metres from the transom!! The lure is thrown&she is gone..........

We are all stunned in what we have just witnessed. The boys on the flybridge call it "A Grander". A fish bigger than a thousand pounds may be even 1100 pounds!!! They are good judges having both caught grander Black Marlin in Cairns over many heavy tackle seasons.

Later after all the adrenalin& excitement had backed off a touch,our skipper Rob said "its the biggest marlin he has ever seen south of Cairns in over 40 years of gamefishing"

All points well for the Interclub........Can't wait to get back out there.

Hi Poly

We did have a video going but it was focused on the rear of the boat&we think the fish was out of shot. Steve is going through it to-night.Hopefully there will be something............

By the way,the lure of choice was a: Super Apollo in Evil colours.

Hi Poly

We did have a video going but it was focused on the rear of the boat&we think the fish was out of shot. Steve is going through it to-night.Hopefully there will be something............

By the way,the lure of choice was a: Super Apollo in Evil colours.

Its always nice to see a big fish. top stuff!! :1yikes:

Its also another to hook her,

also another to fight her to the boat,

also then another to bring her on board and compete the end game where most are lost.

As Dean Butler says, estimates are only estimates and you never know how big she really is until she hits the lie detector :wacko:

There has been many a big blue seen in OZ, but still none have been caught over the grand and weighed by rec's .

One day it WILL happen. They are out there .

changa

Good stuff and bad luck, I dropped past Marquis's mooring on Sunday to chat to rob, you must of been one of the blokes on board, Good to hear you guys got some action.......Rob knows his fish and his estimates are better then most peoples weighed fish

Nice to hear there is some serious action somewhere close by!

Brings back memories of one we hooked a few years ago during the Interclub. I never actually saw the fish; it smashed the short rigger and all I saw was giant holes in the water and white water! (I was trying to dodge a few other boats in close proximity.)

Several of my crew that day had regularly fished Cairns, and all agreed the fish was of "that" size range.

What was unusual for the mighty Gambit was that we were fishing T&R and hence had 37kg tackle out, so we had a good chance on the fish, or so we thought. With the rod barely out of the holder and the angler heading to the chair, it was all over. The fish had managed to "scissor" the trace between head and tail, and snapped 600lb Jinkai like it was cotton. BUGGER!!!

So commisserations to Rob and the mighty Marquis crew from Gambit - we share both your pain at the loss, and the exaltation of actually / finally raising one of those big buggers!

Cheers,

Bob.

Edited by GAMBIT