Rosa Gully

groperman

Gday guys, me and a mate are heading to rosa gully on the weekend, we are both experienced rock fisherman but first time to rosa gully. I know its abit tricky to get to green rock and the other spots, can anyone let me know if the rope to climb down is still there? and also explain to us how to actually get down to the spots? Cheers!

Dean

Is Rosa Gully the one where you walk along the slippery log? Did that walk ages ago (10 yrs) and not too keen to do it again since the only thing we caught were leatheries.

All I remember is that it's accross a park, the path hooks to the right and there is a log along the cliff face with some ropes achored to the rock wall. Both get slimy in sections so not for the faint hearted.

Anyone know if I'm in the right spot?

CHeers

Caine

Is the place your talking about near dover heights?

Yep ... actually, just looked on google and the place I'm thinking of is a bit further north by nearby. Click the link below. The ledge I fished is just below the big white building at end of Kimberley St. Small ledge partially in the shade on the aerial.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sou...mp;t=h&z=18

Caine

mmmmmm the gully can bight you big time but if you must go then park at the top off the gully and walk down the gully and at the bottom to your left is a ladder leading up to a narrow leadge follow that around and stick to the base off the cliff then you get to the shoot there used to be some wire running across this exposed ledge

this is the last obstical and you have to time it right in a swell if you get hammered half way across just lean in and hug the wall

through the cave and your at the hottest bream spot in sydney,follow your nose and you will find the poo out let right under your feet[they say it is storm water but thats crap it's poo]

warning do'nt trust any ladders or ropes there all rat shit take your own ropes and be very care full

if you fall in your dead it's as simple as that

good luck and never over 1.5 meters the shoot is to hairy

cast in the poo hole with little weight on the back wash with live nippers for big blue nose bream

black fish in the same spot

kings will show up after the bream to the far right off the poo out let is a water cave thats were you wont your livey for the kings

but i bet you a beer you will never land a big one there as they run straight under your feet into a cave and bust you off

cherrs gary

Is Rosa Gully the one where you walk along the slippery log? Did that walk ages ago (10 yrs) and not too keen to do it again since the only thing we caught were leatheries.

All I remember is that it's accross a park, the path hooks to the right and there is a log along the cliff face with some ropes achored to the rock wall. Both get slimy in sections so not for the faint hearted.

Anyone know if I'm in the right spot?

CHeers

Caine

Your in the right spot caine, I went there about 15 to 20 years ago and never again, didnt catch much either. Going down was alot easier than coming back up for me, I was sh?ting myself. Good luck Groperman hope you do better than me.

Cheers Mike

G'day Groper Man

As people have already mentioned - especially Brickman - the climb can be a bit treacherous. I live just around the corner from this spot and have climbed down a couple of times in calm weather to have a look around, although i have never fished there.

You need to park in Craig Ave which is off Isabel Ave via Military Rd. There should be plenty of parking. When you get there and look out to sea you have 2 options. On the right of the park is a wooden board walk. If you go down this and walk along to the end of it below the white appartment block you can climb around the side of it and walk down the remains of some old wooden steps. They take you about halfway down... After that there is a slippery and rickety old wooden bridge made from a couple of telegraph poles. Once you go over that you are on fairly wide ledges and can climb around to your right where you are at the cliff base and straight into deep water. There are rod holders in the rocks here and i have seen people catch Kings and Salmon amongst other things.

The other option is more risky... Back at the top of the park to your left the path winds around along the edge of a gully and there is sign saying keep out etc. If you climb over the fence and have a look around you will find that there is actually quite a worn path where people (fisherman) climb down. As long as you take your time the climb down is quite easy. Once you get to the bottom of the gully look up to your left and you will see another ladder going up to a ledge... This is where the fun begins! After that follow Brickmans directions and it does get pretty dodgy!

Alternatively when you get to the bottom of the gully you can turn right and climb around the rocks that way - although this can only be done on middlish tide and small swell. I haven't fished it but it looked like a great spot for blackies as there was cabbage everywhere!

Good luck and stay safe if you go and make sure you post a report.

Cheers

Jim

i agree steve you have to be a nutter to fish the left option and i was single and bullet proof back in those days

after having kids there was to much to loose and i stick to boats now days

i would recomend no one fishes the gully but if you must it is only for the very and i mean very experianced rock hopper

there is no mobile phone coverage down there

cherrs gary