Gold Coast Help

autocad

heading up to the gold coast tomorrow with the kids for a week's holiday. Are there any landbased options near surfer's paradise? I was either thinking fish the canals for bream and flattys or fish the beach for whiting. Are these good options at this time of year. I will only be able to go early morning or late night for a few hours.

Are SP's worth taking?

cheers

scotty

...... Are there any landbased options near surfer's paradise? I was either thinking fish the canals for bream and flattys or fish the beach for whiting. Are these good options at this time of year. I will only be able to go early morning or late night for a few hours.

Are SP's worth taking?

cheers

scotty

Hi autocad

If you have a car with you, you can follow the coast road up along Surfers Paradise and drive a few kilometres to the dead end near the lighthouse which overlooks the back of south Stradbroke Island and fish off the sand spit jetty which is a good way of beach fishing out wide......... There's only a short walk from the car park to a council run kiosk where you pay a small fee to fish off the jetty........you can also buy tackle at the kiosk and some start off bait there, tho you are probably better off veering off at the turn off which goes over the bridge towards Labrador on the way up to the Sand Spit...... When you cross the bridge there is a take away and retail sea food shop on your left and a boat ramp across the road from it and it's only a few minutes out of the way......

The sand spit is a good 300 metres walk to the end of it and the last parts are way out from the shore and are well past the breakers and you'll be fishing directly into the deep water swell..........Your sps would certainly work well fished in around the many pylons for bream etc. You will also catch live bait there....... If you fish up at the end of the platform at night, you would need long beach rods and big gear and have a flying gaff with you, as you are most likely to strike some pretty big fish there as well as some big sharks.... you could also possibly strike a jewfish on either tide but preferably fish the top and the early run out as that is when the schools come in.

I've met some New Zealanders who fly over and fish the sand spit at this time of year a couple of times before and they book a cab or a limo and fish off the point of the sand spit jetty which is quite eery late at night by the way and if it's windy and uncomfortable, the more action you are likely to get.

Hope this helps as you will be fishing in deepwater well out behind surf breakers at night.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi autocad

If you have a car with you, you can follow the coast road up along Surfers Paradise and drive a few kilometres to the dead end near the lighthouse which overlooks the back of south Stradbroke Island and fish off the sand spit jetty which is a good way of beach fishing out wide......... There's only a short walk from the car park to a council run kiosk where you pay a small fee to fish off the jetty........you can also buy tackle at the kiosk and some start off bait there, tho you are probably better off veering off at the turn off which goes over the bridge towards Labrador on the way up to the Sand Spit...... When you cross the bridge there is a take away and retail sea food shop on your left and a boat ramp across the road from it and it's only a few minutes out of the way......

The sand spit is a good 300 metres walk to the end of it and the last parts are way out from the shore and are well past the breakers and you'll be fishing directly into the deep water swell..........Your sps would certainly work well fished in around the many pylons for bream etc. You will also catch live bait there....... If you fish up at the end of the platform at night, you would need long beach rods and big gear and have a flying gaff with you, as you are most likely to strike some pretty big fish there as well as some big sharks.... you could also possibly strike a jewfish on either tide but preferably fish the top and the early run out as that is when the schools come in.

I've met some New Zealanders who fly over and fish the sand spit at this time of year a couple of times before and they book a cab or a limo and fish off the point of the sand spit jetty which is quite eery late at night by the way and if it's windy and uncomfortable, the more action you are likely to get.

Hope this helps as you will be fishing in deepwater well out behind surf breakers at night.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Cheers jewgaffer,

greatly appreciate the indepth description of the two spots. I'll put up a report on my return next week. hopefully, i'll be able to nab something to write about.

autocad