Starting To Lose Faith

DarkHorse

Went out today first thing this morning before sunrise at Botany Bay. Had a kilo of fresh Hawkesbury prawns, peeled and lightly salted.

Drifted all over the bay, nothing, not even a bight. Tried trolling Jackall Chubby's nothing but weed. Tried soft plastics, again nothing.

Was there for the last of the runout and the incoming as well. Tried weed patches, sand patches, drop offs etc.

I just can't crack a fish, the last 4 trips having come up empty. I have tried live nippers, worms, prawns, soft plastics and lures.

Feeling that all the money I have spent on gear, boats and fuel has all been a complete waste of money.

In saying that I have stilled enjoyed spending time on the water.

Might be time to sell the new boat and gear and take up golf!

Rob

NOOOOO!!

Dont give up , sometimes the Bay can be a bit quiet. Also , knowing where you might reasonably be expected to catch fish helps a lot.

Try anchoring off the rocks at Molineaux Point , many species (including kingfish) can be caught there.

The oil wharf and hot water outlet over the other side can often provide Trevs and Salmon.

Sometimes if you drift a bait across the sandy sections of the bay , good flatties can be the result!!

Keep at it , you will score well one day !!

Ross

Went out today first thing this morning before sunrise at Botany Bay. Had a kilo of fresh Hawkesbury prawns, peeled and lightly salted.

Drifted all over the bay, nothing, not even a bight. Tried trolling Jackall Chubby's nothing but weed. Tried soft plastics, again nothing.

Was there for the last of the runout and the incoming as well. Tried weed patches, sand patches, drop offs etc.

I just can't crack a fish, the last 4 trips having come up empty. I have tried live nippers, worms, prawns, soft plastics and lures.

Feeling that all the money I have spent on gear, boats and fuel has all been a complete waste of money.

In saying that I have stilled enjoyed spending time on the water.

Rob

That's not the spirit mate haha!! You seem to have tried a few different methods but keep at it.... Botany is a great place to fish!!!

My fave on the botany flats is by far drifting and casting small 3.5cm sinking hard body's with a slow roll with the rod tip high and hard twitches.. Last time I was there Black was the colour that worked and the lure was a small hornet style by Salmo.. That morning was heaps of bream flathead and BIG trevs.

Fishing gear is never a waste of money.! keep at it!

If you have had enough sell me your boat real cheap!!! haha

Never give up mate,

You are not the only one that has fishless sessions,

Many occasions I go out with great expectations only to be kicked in the gits with nothing to show for my efforts.

We all feel fishing should be relaxing but when you spend time the day before preparing all the gear plus spending money on fuel ,bait , gear etc .

Yes fishing is expensive and I guess there is always something new to learn and some people seem to have the art of catching fish downpat.

Just keep trying and try new areas and new techniques.

You aint alone mate.

Twin 1

We all have the fishless sessions but when they start a biting then u will know that it is all worth the wait.

Keep at it, since it sounds like u are trying the methods we all know produce when they are on the bite.

I'm sure as with others; it took me a long time to start to find productive grounds and even then they still have thier off days. Not soon enough if you keep it up it will come.

Maybe look to another raider for a trip out and a few pointers.

Otherwise, since ur located 41000 ft obove the earth maybe drop down to 500ft and then try find ur reef from there.. at least that will provide relief in the meantime.

Hey buddy, don't lose hope!!!

heres some usefull facts

60% of the time, if you are fishing from land or off jettys - you will not catch a fish. that includes burleying up very well and having the best setup...

the 40% that do you catch something also includes 1 fish only caught also within that percentage..

just relax! it takes time

cheers

Hi Mate,

Get out of Botany Bay and try the main harbour or Middle Harbour.

Fish in Bantry Bay or around seforth shore or basically any bay or drop off in Middle Harbour.

We all have a jinx spot and for me its the Hawksbury.

Try some new areas as if your not catching fish at your normal area then you cant go wrong trying somewhere else. At worst you get a change of scenery and at best some good fish.

Cheers

Hi Mate,

Get out of Botany Bay and try the main harbour or Middle Harbour.

Fish in Bantry Bay or around seforth shore or basically any bay or drop off in Middle Harbour.

We all have a jinx spot and for me its the Hawksbury.

Try some new areas as if your not catching fish at your normal area then you cant go wrong trying somewhere else. At worst you get a change of scenery and at best some good fish.

Cheers

Il pay that Zenman, the hawksbury doesn't like me either.

Darkhorse, make sure you move around, I just had a month long dry spell flogging the same ledge, I moved and now my fridge is filled with king fillets..... stick it out

Edited by bobfish

Darkhorse, i feel ya mate

I have given fishing a rest also..

Too many fruitless night, i spend so much money for nothing...

i try many types of baits, i drive to far places and i try my best to get fresh bait and fish in risky area all for 0.

i have given it a rest for now, i am spending my time playing tennis and basketball

Alot of my mates compain about not catching anything, Then i see there gear, and the answer is looking at them in the face.

Most of my bottom bashing in Botany, syd harbour, and pittwater is with 6 lbs max, Too many blokes man up with the 12 lbs lines, but thats just too heavy in my mind

perhaps fish light with LONG leaders.

Wrinks

Begone. Give up now! It will never improve.

Thats one down if we keep at I might be able to fish the bay comfortably on a Saturday.

But if you are going to stay take wrinkley's advice and drop down to 6lb, grab a heap more of them nippers and get back out there cause there are still damn good whiting around near Brighton and in the deeper water off St George Sailing club.

Dave

:Funny-Post:

Davemmm, you crack me up, first you kick out of Port Hacking and now you want me to give it up completely! :1prop:

Seriously thanks for all of the replies and kind words. As I said I really enjoy my time on the water, would prefer to catch more fish, especially of the table variety!

Matter of fact my mate and I are heading out to middle harbour this Saturday morning. It has to be close to his house as his partner is due to give birth to their first child any day and he still wants to go fishing :biggrin2: boy will I be in trouble with his :wife: if he misses the birth..............

Trouble is I have read as much information as possible, spoken with many a fellow fisher both here and on the water as well as tackle shop owners, spent thousands of $$$$ just on tackle alone............

Then again if we were guaranteed a fish EVERY time it would be boring.

Here's hoping my drought breaks soon and that it is not contagious!!

Regards,

Rob

mate dont worry - ive been told that i could catch a fish out of a bucket and my last four trips have been ordinary also, even the missus commented on how ordinary i have been going lately! I have given advice to others lately who have fished my spots and caught fish and i am flat out raising a scale!!! on friday i fished with a mate in the harbour and spent 6 hours trying to catch squid for zilch, a bloke i know went the weekend before and caught 22 and his mates went the day after us and caught 20 - so dont feel bad unfortunately s##t happens! fishing is sometimes a famine or a feast, your luck could change on your next trip hang in there

pete.