Croc Hunting Part2

Nicnat

Hi All

With the nice weather and crowds around on weekends at the recognised Kingie spots, Rod Hogger (8yr old son) and I have been working the quieter Flattie grounds in the Bay of late.

RH managed his PB Flathead (70cm) a couple of weeks back and so we kicked off west of Towra and worked our way towards the heads as the tide fell. We managed several bream, whiting and flathead along the way and had a nice dinner taken care of but nothing "outstanding". So we headed back to the spot he got the last big one and within 15 minutes he landed an almost identical fish a smidge under 70cm (see below). Once again a solid effort on 6lb line and smiles all round. :1prop:

As the wind was starting to kick in, I was happy to head home but RH was doing the old "just one more cast" routine. So we set up another drift and the rod buckles over again over a particular patch that I have now programmed into the GPS and locked away in a safe!!!

A lot of weight with occasional head shakes and I'm hoping for another big Flattie. On the 6lb gear RH is slowly trying to lift the beastie out of the depths and see colour after 3-4 minutes. A huge ugly wide head and close to a meter in length and I call it for a good shovel nose. WRONG!!!!! :1yikes: It's a whopper Flathead significantly bigger than the last one and slugging it out 2 metres down just out of reach of the net. I'm freaking and jumping up and down, yelling at RH about being careful with the drag pressure whilst he is composed and telling me rightly to "Shut up Dad".

A couple more runs later and still we can't get her close enough when with one big shake of her head the line parts and we watch her gracefully slide back down. A moments silence came across us both before RH looks at me and says "We'll be back ..."

post-6181-1233556945_thumb.jpg

post-6181-1233556910_thumb.jpg

Hi All

With the nice weather and crowds around on weekends at the recognised Kingie spots, Rod Hogger (8yr old son) and I have been working the quieter Flattie grounds in the Bay of late.

RH managed his PB Flathead (70cm) a couple of weeks back and so we kicked off west of Towra and worked our way towards the heads as the tide fell. We managed several bream, whiting and flathead along the way and had a nice dinner taken care of but nothing "outstanding". So we headed back to the spot he got the last big one and within 15 minutes he landed an almost identical fish a smidge under 70cm (see below). Once again a solid effort on 6lb line and smiles all round. :1prop:

As the wind was starting to kick in, I was happy to head home but RH was doing the old "just one more cast" routine. So we set up another drift and the rod buckles over again over a particular patch that I have now programmed into the GPS and locked away in a safe!!!

A lot of weight with occasional head shakes and I'm hoping for another big Flattie. On the 6lb gear RH is slowly trying to lift the beastie out of the depths and see colour after 3-4 minutes. A huge ugly wide head and close to a meter in length and I call it for a good shovel nose. WRONG!!!!! :1yikes: It's a whopper Flathead significantly bigger than the last one and slugging it out 2 metres down just out of reach of the net. I'm freaking and jumping up and down, yelling at RH about being careful with the drag pressure whilst he is composed and telling me rightly to "Shut up Dad".

A couple more runs later and still we can't get her close enough when with one big shake of her head the line parts and we watch her gracefully slide back down. A moments silence came across us both before RH looks at me and says "We'll be back ..."

post-6181-1233556945_thumb.jpg

Nice looking fish and looked like a good day on the water!

what bait were you using if you dont mind me asking?

keep it up!

That is fantasic to see the young fella right into fishing, gives you a great excuse to say "well we are off for a fish / bonding session and we aren't too sure what time we will be home" and what a way to spend a day with your son, even if he is a rod hogger.

Cheers

Pete

Mate,

What a great catch. I love to see kids enjoying it so much. Love the line "We'll be back".

I see a lot of myself in your son. I was the same as a youngster. I'm now 43 and fishing has become a lifelong passion for me. It has shaped my life into the wonderful thing it is today.

I hope it does the same for your son and the bonding it creates for you two is priceless.

As dogtooth said - I can see a big kingie in his arms sometime soon, as well as a jewie, a tuna, a reddie, etc, etc, etc. and then a trophy or two.

Just don't introduce him to women until he's 30 ! :biggrin2:

Edited by Keflapod

Rh has the midas touch :1prop: Keep the reports coming!

Yep, the little bugger has started knocking off some of my PBs and doesn't he let everyone know about it. The last 12 months - 42cm Bream, 44cm Whiting, 84cm Salmon, 2 x 70cm Flatheads in the last 2 weeks and he's hooked up a couple of Kings over 80cm (thank God he hasn't landed them yet ...)

We're off to Weipa for a week's fishing in April so imagine how bad he will be after that!!!