Painting

dennisvr

Hi I am new here. I have purchased an older Tinny and want to spruce up the inside paint. It has the origional, off yellow/brown. Would anyone know what paint this is and what I can safely paint over it. I tried a small patch of etching primer and this caused blistering.

Thanks in advance Dennis

Dennis,

I cant help you with the type of paint, but had the same experience with blistering when using etch prime.

In the end, I found that it was easier just to remove all the old paint & start from the beginning!

I ended up with a better job as a result.

maybe the paint manufacturer can help?

I have read somewhere of people using some sort of 'Hi fill' primer - might be worth investigating.

Good luck.

Etch primers have low volume solids. That means that the solvent content is very high. This is why they will cause another paint to blister.

The paint thats on there is probably an enamel alkid type paint and could contain lead so a respirator should be used when sanding.

If you strip the paint back first with paint stripper, sand lightly, prepsol then apply the etch and whatever top coat you like.

I have heaps of colours of two pack left over from jobs in the Penrith area and I'm willing to sell it for $10 per litre plus hardener.

Mike

Thanks Guys, I cleaned up the old paint and put on a few coats of old fashion grey hammertone. I tried a small spot on the existing paint and a bit of bare aluminium, seemed to stick well. Looks a lot better than the old Yellow/Brown. I have almost finished adding a carpeted floor.

Edited by dennisvr