Spin Rod And Overhead Reels

ORES

I have a diawa 40lb monstamesh jig rod spin

I was wondering if there is any one that can give me educated advise on putting an overhead reel on a spin rod of this style? will it damage it with say if a big king or jewie hopped on?

Also is there any product that you can use as maintanance to keep the foam or cork grip from drying out and going hard.

Cheers :beersmile:

Ok So nothing to do ith the actual structure of the blank then.

from my understanding dont do it

from what i understand the rods have a so called back bone which is created by the way the guides go on. if the rod is to bend against this, which is what would happen if you switched a spin rod to make it a overhead, you stress the points of guids and would break of the guides. some people may have other thoughs on this but in my books it is a bigg no no.

make sure you know a could rod builder if you try

When a rod is built be it a spin or a overhead, locating the spine is crucial for guide placement, they are only, if you intend to place on overhead reel on a spin rod you will have nothing but dramas, if you were to hook up on a fish the rod will be constantly trying trying to spin and twist in your hands, this is common even without incorrect reel fitted with baitcast style rods, that is why they have special types of wraps on baitcast rods compared to spin rods, if you need further info pm Ceph as he builds quite a few rods.

Plenty of rods have been built that can handle both. The trick is to have one or two more guides than you would on a straight spin rod and have a larger first runner than you would normally have on an overhead rod. I wouldn't fret too much about the backbone. Chances are you won't even notice whether it's in line our 180 deg out.

i wouldnt recomend you buying one but you already own it so give it a go in the shed and see how she works.

if you hold the rod about midway up in one hand and towards the tip in the other so the weight of the grip gives it a bit of a bend the rod will roll around to its softest position.the guides should lay along this axis,meaning down for a spin and up for an overhead.

some mass produced rods arent built the way they should be.

if you wanted to put a spin reel on an o/h rod the spine wont flip it over but o/h on a spin rod the rod may roll over under load.