New To Sps - Need Help

deek

Hi Fellow Raiders,

I've just returned from a trip up north visiting a friend of mine who has introduced me to soft plastics. Now I'm hooked (no pun intended). I would like to know what I would need for a basic set up, like, type of rod, type of reel, type of braid and types of plastics, just to get me started. I would like to target bream and flathead. I would really appreciate everyone's expertise here.

:(

Regards

Deek

G'Day Deek. Here's something to get you started.

6'6" to 7'6" rod - Depending on your budget, consider Berkley Dropshot, Shimano Raider or TCurve, or a custom made stick

2000 size reel - Shimano Symetre or Stradic, Daiwa SOL or Luvius ... options are endless

Braid - 4lb or 6lb. FINS, Fireline, Platypus will all see you headed in the right direction

Here's a link to bream plastics suggestions:

Bream Soft Plastics

For flatties I would look at 3" Minnows in Pumkinseed, Squidgy fish in Silver Fox (100mm), 5" Gulp jerk Shads in Curried Chicken, Satay Chicken, Lime Tiger or Camouflage

Flurocarbon leader for the flatties (10 - 15lb) and mono for the bream (4lb to 6lb)

When choosing an outfit, you can save yourself a lot of trouble by visiting a tackle store (like GoFish - one of our sponsors). Tell them what you are looking for and what you intend targetting. They will look after you with a quality outfit to suit your budget, and save you money (which you can then blow on more plastics! :biggrin2: )

Good luck and happy shopping mate

Hodgey

Thanks heaps Hodgey for the information, It's really appreciated.

Regards

Deek

G'Day Deek. Here's something to get you started.

6'6" to 7'6" rod - Depending on your budget, consider Berkley Dropshot, Shimano Raider or TCurve, or a custom made stick

2000 size reel - Shimano Symetre or Stradic, Daiwa SOL or Luvius ... options are endless

Braid - 4lb or 6lb. FINS, Fireline, Platypus will all see you headed in the right direction

Here's a link to bream plastics suggestions:

Bream Soft Plastics

For flatties I would look at 3" Minnows in Pumkinseed, Squidgy fish in Silver Fox (100mm), 5" Gulp jerk Shads in Curried Chicken, Satay Chicken, Lime Tiger or Camouflage

Flurocarbon leader for the flatties (10 - 15lb) and mono for the bream (4lb to 6lb)

When choosing an outfit, you can save yourself a lot of trouble by visiting a tackle store (like GoFish - one of our sponsors). Tell them what you are looking for and what you intend targetting. They will look after you with a quality outfit to suit your budget, and save you money (which you can then blow on more plastics! :biggrin2: )

Good luck and happy shopping mate

Hodgey

Hi Deek

2" & 3" Gulp shrimps in natural, pepper &/or new penny are pretty good just now (as the prawns are still running!) Use them on about a 2g-4g jig head & you should catch a bream or a flattie! :)

Cheerio

Roberta

i use a shimano rack raider and a shimano sustain 2000 size with 6lb braid for my bream and flatty setup(you will definatly want to use braid or fused line such as fireline as it allows you to feel every little toutch and no stretch allows better lure action)

my favorite SP lures are the squigies with the little thing of s factor stuff, im not sure if it works or not but it seems to increase my catch rate (it might just boost confidence when fishing) but i dunno ..i mostly use squidgy fish or wriglers in the 65-70mm range and sometimes smaller for picky bream like the critter or bug.

if its bigger lizards you are after use bigger lures . i like the 100mm squigey fish in the "black gold" colour

i have also found using more natural looking plastics catches more fish and what i tend to do is look at the food source in the area for the fish im targeting and try to mimik whatever that is whether it be big shiney mullet-looking plastics for jews or little prawn-looking ones for bream.

if its bigger lizards you are after use bigger lures . i like the 100mm squigey fish in the "black gold" colour

post-9553-1234335337_thumb.jpgpost-9553-1234335354_thumb.jpgpost-9553-1234335219_thumb.jpg

i hope this helps as i know how confusing it can be trying to find plastics to suit your style of fishing when you walk into a shop and have about 10,000 different types of lures to choose from

wish you luck fishing and hope you find what you are looking for

regards, fisho

:1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1: