New World Record From Australia

olitay

Hi all, thought i would share this, a friends boat holds the record this magnificent catch. He emailed me the pics today!This is what was written.

"This unusual fish, weighing 50kg (110lbs 3oz), was boated by angler Ted Tolfree, after an epic fight on 15kg (30lb) tackle, under the expert supervision and guidance of Captain xxxx.

Captain xxxx was at first reluctant to take such a magnificent fish out of its habitat but an assessment of its condition alongside the boat convinced him that it would not survive if released. It was only after bringing the fish aboard 'xxxxx' that he realised that it could be a record for the species.

It is, in fact, the biggest shortbilled Spearfish ever caught, anywhere, on any line class; and is now the current All Tackle World Record.

Record Details:

Species: SPearfish, shortbill

Weight: 50Kgs

Record Catagory: All-Tackle

Date: 5.3.2008

post-6621-1234412330_thumb.jpg

Hi Billyd

Nice fish but at that size it was probably to old to survive the fight. are they good eating?

where was it caught the bridge looks alot like the singing bridge in hawks nest think im wrong though

gez it would be nice to have a world record catch of any fish one can dream i guess

thanks for sharing

Adzzy

Hi Billyd

Nice fish but at that size it was probably to old to survive the fight. are they good eating?

where was it caught the bridge looks alot like the singing bridge in hawks nest think im wrong though

gez it would be nice to have a world record catch of any fish one can dream i guess

thanks for sharing

Adzzy

Nice fish, to me it looks like captain cook bridge.

Sure is guys, Captain Cook bridge, dont know what they did with it but I will ask. It is actually nearly a year old now, it has taken that long for the officials to recognise it as a world record.

The fish was caught out from Botany Bay.

Botany Bay looks to be firing but when the desal is finally up and running that will all probably change since the salt they are pumping off kurnell will not be far from the coast line

Think again.

The desal plant will never run as a permanent thing. It will be too expensive to use just for the hell of it so they will only ever "top up" our water supply.

I dont think the final product is going to be such an environmentally devestating product as the extremests are saying.

Dave

ps Damn nice fish

Think again.

The desal plant will never run as a permanent thing. It will be too expensive to use just for the hell of it so they will only ever "top up" our water supply.

I dont think the final product is going to be such an environmentally devestating product as the extremests are saying.

Dave

ps Damn nice fish

Hey Dave,

What you're saying makes sense and I hope you are right.

My concern is that once the desal plant starts, it will keep going because politicians will see it as:

1. It creates full-time jobs and that makes pollies look good and give them their best chance for re-election.

2. Having qualified people employed 'as needed' is too hard. Staff may not be around when needed.

3. Having qualified people employed 'as needed' is too expensive. It may rival the cost of constant running

4. The govt are smart people. They will probably run it full time and sell the 'excess' water to irrigators and others, both intrastate and interstate - help offset the cost of running the plant full time....

This is why I think they will run it full time.

You see, the govt. can still throw any reason at us to keep the plant running. After all it is critical infrastructure and doesn't need community consultation in any of it's decision making processes.

That's one of the reasons I sold my big boat and my small boat and got a medium sized boat. I can still fish the bay whilst the desal plant is not running, but can also fish the ocean, in case the bay turns into the dead sea.

Usually in summer (when we will need the desal plant the most), the ocean current comes down from the north and that will not necessarily pose a problem for the bay as the brine is swept southwards from it's discharge point. But when the ocean current is from the south (or a southerly wind is blowing) and the tide is rising, the brine outflow from the plant will be sucked into the bay, cooks and george's rivers. The salt concentration will be higher on the bottom layers of water and I think it will kill off a lot of vegetation and small fish, molluscs and crustaceans. Once the bottom end of the food chain dwindles, everything else will dwindle too.

It will be worse for kurnell coastline, bate bay, all the way to port hacking, jibbon and who knows how far south it will go. All that brine will have serious affects.

I hope I have it all wrong and that common sense prevails. To have the plant running part time when dam levels get low is the best idea for the environment - but I ain't holdin' my breath....

Edited by Keflapod

keflapo is pretty much on the money. The desal site is huge, i have worked out there and to know where you have to go is a night mare, so the number of staff required to run it will be quite large. but like i said i am purely worried about the effluent that is being pumped out so close to shore