Mud Crabbing

kattak

Need help with catching muddies please.

Before had a lot of luck with using raw meat, but changed to yellow tails for bait.

really want to hear the other methods of catching muddies if you're willing to share.

We used to catch a lot of swimmers and muddies at kissing point @ north sydney, using raw meat ( dog food etc.), but recently had no luck at all. Must be somthing we're doing wrong.

Please help!! :risata:

Edited by kattak

Need help with catching muddies please.

Before had a lot of luck with using raw meat, but changed to yellow tails for bait.

really want to hear the other methods of catching muddies if you're willing to share.

We used to catch a lot of swimmers and muddies at kissing point @ north sydney, using raw meat ( dog food etc.),  but recently had no luck at all. Must be somthing we're  doing wrong. 

Please help!! :risata:

35536[/snapback]

:1welcomeani:

Fresh is best! Fresh Mullet heads, fresh anything really.

Cheers

Ken

G`day Fellas ,

Skinned Stingray Flaps , the ultimate weapon for muddies .

Once threaded , they are almost impossible to pull off .

MY old man used to salt his down , wrap em in greaseproof paper , and leave them in the crisper.

Come to think of it , I think he used the same bait for about 20 odd years .

Mick

• 3 weeks later...
G`day Fellas ,

Skinned Stingray Flaps , the ultimate weapon for muddies .

Once threaded , they are almost impossible to pull off .

MY old man used to salt his down , wrap em in greaseproof paper , and leave them in the crisper.

Come to think of it , I think he used the same bait for about 20 odd years .

Mick

35544[/snapback]

Hmmm... stinray flaps where can i get those a??

BTW thanks for the replys.

G`day Fellas ,

Kattak , I see them now and again walking past the odd fish shop , but overall , I think they would be hard to come by.

Perhaps you could ring around , and perhaps even the fish markets might have them , I`m not sure .

Apart from those flaps , I prefer the Fish heads to anything else , mullett heads are as good as any.

Mick

Am I right to say that the bait that will catch you more crabs than ever is a female crab of the species you are targetting. An old bloke up the road keeps a female blue swimmer in a tank, He tethers the tart to the cage sinks it and waits till the boys come sniffing round.

• 5 years later...

yer the old hand real and mullet strip cant go wrong !!! we always have 3 /4 set up, just old beach fish line, 20 pound or what ever with just a small ball sinker straight to a 5/60 long shank when fishing for other stuff,,the random nice schooly, big Flathead or big bream are just a bonus too when crabbing!!!there full of meat at the moment (before they shut down)

last one we got was 1.8kg and loaded,but its real late in the season and i haven't had one in the last 2 weeks! that's fishing 3 times a week in this style! few blues still round but.. good luck phill