Downrigger

spence

something that can hold a 7lb bomb is the go for the harbour - 7lb will do everything you want in there.

scotty and canon are the more appropriate brands for sydney harbour.

no need to go to the USA, especially with the poor currency exchange - you will probably score a better deal locally at the moment.

the scotty 1080 strongarm is the best basic allrounder IMO

CFD

definately agree, i have never needed a bomb bigger than 7lb in the harbour, botany, pitty or any other bay as yet.

scotty is well known and easy to use.

Cheers,

Adrian.

• 2 months later...

the only reason you will need a bigger bomb is if you are considering downrigging at faster than 1-4 knots which is generally the better downrigging speed (the slower the better 1-2 is perfect), the only situations i can think of where you would need to do this are in terribly rough water around headlands (stupid idea) or for marlin, tuna, dollies, swordys & other bluewater applications where strong currents may be encountered and deeper water will need to be reached.... at this point you would also need a larger & stronger downrigger with a greater capacity & one helluva strong mounting (more money) :1prop:

but based on the fact that you have mentioned a 14ft tinny this probably wouldn't apply to you :biggrin2:

smaller than 5lb limits your manouverability IMO and doesnt hold the bait down properly if you wanna get anywhere in the bays and harbours, less than 5lb is more of a still water trout sized ball (or possibly kayak where internal weight has to be considered)

CFD

I know this advice wasnt intended directly for me but ill take it ,im starting out in the downrigging myself and thanks for the sound advice :1clap: