Floating Braid Verses Sinking Braid

BTK

Main advantage of sinking braid is that you can use smaller jig heads/lighter sinkers as there is no need to overcome the bouyancy of the normally floating braid. I have sinking braid on my snapper soft plastics reels and I can usually fish one size smaller head... it may not sound like much of a difference but that little extra bit of finesse gives me a bit more confidence.

One other plus is that it reduces the line belly slightly between your rod tip and your lure as it sinks when casting.

I have a mix of normal and sinking braids on my reels... the sinking braid is something I particularly like for soft plastics.

Cheers, Slinky

Terrific info there, Slinky!!

I have only used floating braid to date ...... started off using it on my blackie gear, as you can easily see when it gets the belly in it & it is much easier to 'mend' the line when it does get the belly in it!! When the blackie takes the float down, you are striking the fish, not just picking up loose line! :)

Plus my sp/lure rods have floating line on it too! This may change ;) Makes sense, as you say, that if you are fishing sps on the bottom, to try out the sinking stuff!

Thanks

Roberta

Terrific info there, Slinky!!

I have only used floating braid to date ...... Makes sense, as you say, that if you are fishing sps on the bottom, to try out the sinking stuff!

Thanks

Roberta

Certainley does make sence. I never new there was such a thing as sinking braid, I thought it all floated. The sinking stuff sounds good for fishing the bottom as Slinky has said.

Hi Slink

Had a look at the sinking braid last time visiting the tackle shop but in the end I went the SI braids that I have used in the past. Had a question tho when using sinking line....

Q) When using sinking braid, do you get more snags because now the line will lay on the bottom in the kelp and rocks on long casts?

Alot of the area I fish for snapper is less than 10m and is full of bolders and kelp beds. Casting 80m away from the boat in shallow water sometimes my floating line runs threw the kelp, thought sinking line could be a problem.

Greg

Hi Slink

Had a look at the sinking braid last time visiting the tackle shop but in the end I went the SI braids that I have used in the past. Had a question tho when using sinking line....

Q) When using sinking braid, do you get more snags because now the line will lay on the bottom in the kelp and rocks on long casts?

Alot of the area I fish for snapper is less than 10m and is full of bolders and kelp beds. Casting 80m away from the boat in shallow water sometimes my floating line runs threw the kelp, thought sinking line could be a problem.

Greg

G'day Greg,

Sinking Braid only sinks very slowly so it won't lie on the bottom (unless you wait for ages I guess) . What you'll notice is that you can get away with a lighter jig head (eg 1/4oz where you would normally use 3/8oz, etc). In the sort of conditions you're talking about though, I'd probably stick with normal braid too though. In that situation having your line sitting a little higher in the water is more useful than using a smaller jig head I reckon.

Cheers, Slinky

just a quick note on sinking braid

i just brought the red sinking stuff in 20lb and was shocked to measure it at 0.33mm in diameter, not the 6lb mono equivalent as advertised (0.2mm)

this basically meant it was useless for my revo unless i only wanted 80m on it.

don't trust what you read

bm