Lilly Pilly Wharf Late Night Session

wttmrwolf

Lilly Pilly wharf from 11:30pm to 2:30am 16/2

Lots of action although only small pinky snapper and rays. All in the 5-20cm range.

Peeled green prawns on no. 6 hooks.

Just as I was cleaning up a large worm swam past. Hooked him up and caught one of the bigger snapper.

10 x snapper

1 x ray

The ray had me fooled since I had 2 hooks on the line and at the same time I caught the ray I caught a small snapper. The combination of twitching from the snapper and reel spooling from the ray had me convinced it was a massive bream ;( See photos of double hook up. :wacko:

The wind was terrible, I was trying my luck at fishing a break in the weather. No such break ever appeared.

Need a plan to get past the little pesky snapper.

If anyone has any tips on how to get past the pesky small snapper I'm all ears.

Bigger hooks just resulted in lost bait.

Someone offline suggested I try squid on a larger hook to give the bigger fish a shot at the bait.

post-3761-1234846652_thumb.jpg

post-3761-1234846661_thumb.jpg

Good on you for getting out there in poor conditions :thumbup:

"If anyone has any tips on how to get past the pesky small snapper I'm all ears.

Bigger hooks just resulted in lost bait. "

Generally a bigger bait is attractive to a bigger fish, although elephants eat peanuts too!

Edited by bobfish

Hey those pinkies are really annoying but never on the left off the wharf if u chuck out a strip off squid and bump it on the weed beds at night you'll get onto some nice bream but usuall when there is heaps off pinkies theres heaps of squid

A.dawg~~~

Talking of pesky snapper while trying to catch yakka's on a bait jig the other night i was also inundated with very small snapper. It made it difficult to catch yakka's but the ones i did catch i could not convert to bigger fair anyway. I suppose it was nice to catch something . . . . .

Some times I have found when the pinkies are around if you cast to the outskirts of where you have been fishing you will pick up bream. I don't know if it is that snapper are alot more agressive than bream someone else here would have more info but when the small reddies are in a freeding frenzy and you move spot you may get a couple of bream and the small snapper turn up and thats all you get. Maybe its why they have bumps on there heads from head butting the opposition :1prop:

Hey those pinkies are really annoying but never on the left off the wharf if u chuck out a strip off squid and bump it on the weed beds at night you'll get onto some nice bream but usuall when there is heaps off pinkies theres heaps of squid

A.dawg~~~

Thanks for the tip, I've never tried the weed beds to the left. I'll report back any success.