Gold Coast - Thursday 19/2

slinkymalinky

How was work today Jewhunter??? :mad3:

post-6175-1235030872_thumb.jpg

Headed out on the water today with a mate and work associate of mine, Stewart. And what incredible conditions... even if the fish didn't fully cooperate. :sun:

After a week of rain, wind and big seas, the Gold Coast turned on a shining day. The ocean was glassed out at 7.30 when we headed out through the Seaway. A long 2m swell was still rolling through but as I'm discovering, getting outside in my 4.8m Quinnie is possible a lot more often here than it was in Sydney.

All the fresh water pumping out to sea has certainly upset things a little on the fishing front but we perservered and while nothing to write home about, managed a few interesting catches including a couple of firsts for me.

We started by stopping on a bait mark where Stewart immediately bought up not yakkas... but little bite-sized Bonito on a bait jig. I got one on a 15g Chrome Bill's Slug... my first 1st... 1st Queensland Bonito.

With reports from before all the rain of good catches of small marlin, we bridled a pair of the Bonnies and slow trolled them... and slow trolled them... and slow trolled them. A few circles of known bait grounds then out past some wider marks.

The water was a steady 26.2 degrees all the way out to the 24fthm reef... no temperature breaks, no current, no bait. We did a stint with pushers looking for more likely water but no dice.

Eventually we got tired of chasing the marlin that were obviously not there... no bait... no predators. We opted instead to fish some bottom marks with lures and bait instead. It was hard work with very few fish showing and then, holding very tight to small patches of reef. With no current and light variable wind, every drift was in a different direction so it was hard to get it right but Stewart managed a beautiful little Moses Perch on a 7" Gulp... the 20lb Sinking Braid was a bit of an overkill but it was nice to see it on deck for a photo before popping him back.

post-6175-1235030902_thumb.jpg

I managed to snare a tiny little Striped Tuna on a small Guzzler which had 10lb Super Braid zipping off the spool like it was a much bigger fish... gee I wish they grew to 50kg!! That's first #2... first ever Stripie on plastic.

post-6175-1235030934_thumb.jpg

We headed in closer to shore and finally found some interesting water... the outgoing tide from the Gold Coast Seaway pushes out a plume of dirty water and the defined scum line where the clean and dirty water meet inevitably showed some more interesting activity... Bait fish skipping around; showings on the sounder that proved to be a plague of small Sand Whiting, 2 of which I nailed on 5/0 Black Magic circle hooks) :biggrin2: (They were a little the worse for the experience so will shortly be dinner for Mrs Slinky); a 'fly-by' from a small mackerel that stupidly decided not to eat the pilly floating behind the boat...

post-6175-1235030924_thumb.jpg

Then I managed my 3rd and 4th 1st for day... my first Gold Coast Long Tom that was also my first ever fish caught by lasso. My little plastic got hit on the drop then felt a bit weird. On winding in we discovered the little LT going bananas as they do but trailing my plastic. It had been neatly lassoed around the bottom jaw but my braid :074:

post-6175-1235030886_thumb.jpg

Finally headed back into the seaway where Stewart managed a nice Bream of about 27-28cm. Then back home for a couple of cold beers.

I'm bushed... going to open a bottle of red and kick back...

Cheers from Sunny Queensland, Slinky

How was work today Jewhunter???

:074::074::074: NOW you're in for it Tony!! Sickkum, Grant! :biggrin2:

Fishing the DWL ... bring back memories of fishing up North mate? ;)

Whilst not your most productive session (obviously due to the absence of a certain 'offsider'), still looks like you had a bloody ball mate. Great photos! Hope your next trip is a cracker!

Cheers

Hodgey

wow it's that first image that makes fishing so special where ever you are...

I had these conditions sometime and no matter if fish are at somewhere else, good nap in this condition fulfills

the day and make ready for monday again.

Cheers for sharing guys,

Richard

Hey Slinky

That first photo should be on the cover of Fishraiders First Calendar! Terrific shot!

Sounds like an interesting day on the water - all good fun, eh??

Lots of 'firsts'! Good that you can strike Long toms from your list now! Grrrrr Lure stealers that they are!!

Well done

Roberta

Edited by Roberta