Tying Braided To Backing Line?

Coast_Bloke

Guest bluecod
I use the Stren

35942[/snapback]

I've used a number of others but find the Stren knot the most reliable for braid to backing

Guest Jocool

Personally I would use at least the same BS as your braid. If you get down to the backing, your GOOOOONE! Are you using a lot of backing, or just enough to stop the braid slipping on the spool?

Guest bluecod

Again I would agree with Joe - at LEAST the same B/S as your braid and remember that the drag will increase the more line you get off your reel unless you adjust drag settings.

ok thanks.

well dont have any 30lb backing on me.. so tackle shop again tomorrow :risata: (hope I make it out with my wallet :biggrin2: )

plus I need some leader line anyway... then the big test Sunday... dunno where yet, my brother says its a surprise location for my new rig... as long as fish on and beers on way back in.. I happy :beersmile:

If you are familiar with the cats paw knot for attaching swivels to doubles you can use the same method for attaching hooks to braid. You don't need a double just poke a loop through the eye & loop the hook back through it 6 times.

Its far stronger than the Palomar Knot as there is no actual knot to slice into itself & easy to tie as well.

Guest hottuna

Some people don`t tie braid to the swivel. Like me i now tie a bimini twist (double) in the braid, then tie a leader using an improved albright. Leader lenght at 1.5m, then tie the leader to your swivel. You get much better shock absorbtion, and less of nasty jerks when a good fish dives for cover, resulting in less pulled knots. If im lazy and only using bait ( as opposed to clipping a diver onto the swivel) i sometimes tie the braid to a swivel, i use a uni knot but instead of 6 turns i use 12.

DAN

Depending on the braid I use the same knot for tying the backing to the braid as I do for tying the braid to the mono leader, unless I'm using a knotted dog leader. For Fireline in 4, 6, 8 and 14lb I tie a 20 turn Bimini Twist and join the mono with an albright. For the backing I do exactly the same thing in reverse, but with the bimini still in the fireline. I keep my doubles short, about 6".

For true braid, like Bionic in 12 and 20 I tie a 30 or 40 turn bimini, and attach a BAss Class Knotted Dog Leader. For heavier stuff, like 50lb Bionic for Barra and Cod I try to do a 60 turn bimini and attach a Mag Barra or Barra Cast Knotted Dog. The KD's do away with a tag end at the braid/mono, which you don't want when you're using a 60 to 80lb mono leader.