Adelaide Dinosours

spic

Adelaide Goes Off!

I need to run thru some history in order to really appreciate how special this trip was.

I’ve got a good friend (Paul) who lives in Adelaide and thru the years we have been out in his boat on many occasions and managed some good catches of Whiting and Squid but the Snapper has always eluded us. Late last year I helped Paul upgrade to a used 5.3 Barcrusher which was purchased here in Syd and got it shipped over to SA which he has now fully decked out with the latest electronics, trim tabs, electric anchor winch and the list goes on. In short, an awesome rig.

Last December we lined up a trip to target Snapper, so I flew down and met up with Paul’s mate Brian who is an absolute gun fisherman and really knows his marks. So we had the boat, we had the marks, but as is always the case, when I got down there it was blowing a gale and pissing down rain. We didn’t get to wet a line at all as the weather just did not let up. “NOT HAPPY”. Needless to say I was shattered flying home on the Sunday.

The following Monday I get a SMS message from Paul and Brian with a picture of 4 Snapper approx 7-9kg, the buggers managed to get out on the Monday literally hours after I’d left and bagged out, devastated.

A couple of months had passed and I was advised that I had to attend a conference in Adelaide on the 22nd Feb commencing in the afternoon. Well the plans quickly went into action. As the d’day approached the weather was looking a bit ordinary surprise surprise but there was a small window on the Sunday morning, so we decided to target the Snapper then. Sunday came around, and we got an early start and headed off into Gulf St. Vincent. When we eventually reached our spot the showing on the sounder looked extremely promising.

I got a bait down 1st which didn’t get a chance to hit the bottom when it got smashed. This was a thumper of a fish but unfortunately I dropped him. Within minutes Paul’s onto another cracker of a fish and this one hits the deck and it’s a 10kg fish. This action continued for a while, and I just couldn’t believe how thick the fish were and all the fish were HUGE with only one smaller fish, 63cm caught.

We were starting to get cocky as we had reached out boat limit of 6 fish over 60cm (2 each), and the boys suggested I give a plastic a run, so I tossed a 6” Gulp out which got annihilated on the drop. We dropped this fish at the boat trying to lift him in and it swam off with the plastic in the side of his mouth.

The following morning Brian heads out to fish this spot again and scores 2 great fish, one was a 27 pounder. While cleaning the fish to his disbelief he finds the plastic which I had lost the prior morning – unbelievable!

So after many heart breaking trips I finally managed to catch that fish of a lifetime. I still can’t wipe the smile off my face.

Fish of a lifetime.

post-1492-1235636229_thumb.jpg

post-1492-1235636247_thumb.jpg

The haul – middle fish was 63 cm.

post-1492-1235636260_thumb.jpg

Brian’s fish next day – top one had the soft plastic from the previous day in it’s gut - bottom one was 27 pound and 104 cm.

post-1492-1235636269_thumb.jpg

Gday spic, Brian here, nice report mate. Had a ball on those fish with you, it was just one of those days wasn't it? They're still running since you left too mate. :P

Lookin forward to getting over that way one day soon to chase some big lizards, kings and jews.

Cheers

snapola

Edited by snapola

Gday spic, Brian here, nice report mate. Had a ball on those fish with you, it was just one of those days wasn't it?. They're still running since you left too mate. :P

Lookin forward to getting over that way one day soon to chase some big lizards, kings and jews.

Cheers

snapola

Green with envy over here snapola :biggrin2:

Congrats on a great couple of sessions fellas. Some incredible fish! :1yikes::1yikes:

Cheers

Hodgey

spinner7 has it right

thats a top hall and that 27 pounder is an absolute monster dang

well done

Yeah he was a PB, happy with that. Have caught many fish around the 10 kilo mark in last few years, but couldn't crack the real big guys. Last season I saw pics of 3 different fish that all topped 40 pounds. One was not far from where we caught these, and 2 were in Spencer's gulf, other side of Yorke Peninsula from Adelaide. We sure don't get the same pelagic action you guys get :1crybaby: but we make up for it with the size of our snapps, KG whiting and other stuff like big kings and mulloway in the gulfs.

Edited by snapola

Adelaide Goes Off!

I need to run thru some history in order to really appreciate how special this trip was.

I’ve got a good friend (Paul) who lives in Adelaide and thru the years we have been out in his boat on many occasions and managed some good catches of Whiting and Squid but the Snapper has always eluded us. Late last year I helped Paul upgrade to a used 5.3 Barcrusher which was purchased here in Syd and got it shipped over to SA which he has now fully decked out with the latest electronics, trim tabs, electric anchor winch and the list goes on. In short, an awesome rig.

Last December we lined up a trip to target Snapper, so I flew down and met up with Paul’s mate Brian who is an absolute gun fisherman and really knows his marks. So we had the boat, we had the marks, but as is always the case, when I got down there it was blowing a gale and pissing down rain. We didn’t get to wet a line at all as the weather just did not let up. “NOT HAPPY”. Needless to say I was shattered flying home on the Sunday.

The following Monday I get a SMS message from Paul and Brian with a picture of 4 Snapper approx 7-9kg, the buggers managed to get out on the Monday literally hours after I’d left and bagged out, devastated.

A couple of months had passed and I was advised that I had to attend a conference in Adelaide on the 22nd Feb commencing in the afternoon. Well the plans quickly went into action. As the d’day approached the weather was looking a bit ordinary surprise surprise but there was a small window on the Sunday morning, so we decided to target the Snapper then. Sunday came around, and we got an early start and headed off into Gulf St. Vincent. When we eventually reached our spot the showing on the sounder looked extremely promising.

I got a bait down 1st which didn’t get a chance to hit the bottom when it got smashed. This was a thumper of a fish but unfortunately I dropped him. Within minutes Paul’s onto another cracker of a fish and this one hits the deck and it’s a 10kg fish. This action continued for a while, and I just couldn’t believe how thick the fish were and all the fish were HUGE with only one smaller fish, 63cm caught.

We were starting to get cocky as we had reached out boat limit of 6 fish over 60cm (2 each), and the boys suggested I give a plastic a run, so I tossed a 6” Gulp out which got annihilated on the drop. We dropped this fish at the boat trying to lift him in and it swam off with the plastic in the side of his mouth.

The following morning Brian heads out to fish this spot again and scores 2 great fish, one was a 27 pounder. While cleaning the fish to his disbelief he finds the plastic which I had lost the prior morning – unbelievable!

So after many heart breaking trips I finally managed to catch that fish of a lifetime. I still can’t wipe the smile off my face.

Fish of a lifetime.

post-1492-1235636229_thumb.jpg

post-1492-1235636247_thumb.jpg

The haul – middle fish was 63 cm.

post-1492-1235636260_thumb.jpg

Brian’s fish next day – top one had the soft plastic from the previous day in it’s gut - bottom one was 27 pound and 104 cm.

post-1492-1235636269_thumb.jpg

Monster fish good work!

Thanks for all the great comments.

Catching fish of this size is one thing but when have a situation where you get smashed on every drop well thats dream material. Thats what it was like for us on this occassion basically one after another, truly amazing.

Cheers,

Vic