Epirb? Are They Compulsory For Under 5m

Yarraone

I just read a tread on the waterways site which explained the safty equipment needed to go offshore?

My question is about the EPIRB? is it compulsory to have one if your are going more than 2nm offshore ?, even if you are under 5m in length?

I was under the impression that if you were more than 2nm out no matter what size you had to have a EPIRB?

This was the link....... http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/safetyequipment.html#Open

My understanding is that at this point it is still only a recommendation to have an EPIRB on boats under 8m going more than 2nm offshore.

But have been hearing murmurs that there are changes being lobbied to make it compulsory for all.

Not a bad thing I thinks.

Would like to know if I am misinformed though.

Will be interesting over the next few years just how many epirbs get deployed. many I think will go down with the ship as a lot of sinkings are very fast on smaller vessels.

Regulation is an interesting thing and so is statistics that some politician will spout but nothing beats common sense and people who give themselves a false sense of security by even considering being out in a situation are the greatet worry.

I just read a tread on the waterways site which explained the safty equipment needed to go offshore?

My question is about the EPIRB? is it compulsory to have one if your are going more than 2nm offshore ?, even if you are under 5m in length?

I was under the impression that if you were more than 2nm out no matter what size you had to have a EPIRB?

Yarraone

Check out this thread. It covers the current situation

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...18&hl=epirb

Geoff