8 / 3 / 2009 Big King Plus A Few Others

dogtooth

Hi Everyone ,

After fishing the last two weekends at Port Stephens and catching marlin and shortbill spearfish it was decided to give the south coast reefs a go for Snapper and Kingfish . The conditions were quite sloppy and we decided to grab a heap of fresh slimey mackerel to try and tempt the kings into playing tug of war . Well the slimeys were all extra large and we soon had a heap onboard and headed for the kingfish hideout , the first couple of livebaits were harassed and squashed by the fish which makes it frustrating when they play with your baits just mouthing it . I soon had another king playing with the livebait and I opened the bail arm and feed him the bait as soon as I closed it the rod buckled and it was tug of war time , . the first 15 seconds is where the fight is one or lost after that it’s the last couple of power runs once they see the boat all went well and I soon had colour on the fish . The gaff man did a great job and I soon had a 110 cm king in the boat :thumbup: , weighing it later on it went 10.7 KG :yahoo: . What a top start , a few high fives and quick pics and in went the livies , my mate Jye soon came up tight on a fish of 82 CM and he was more than happy . I managed another 2 smaller fish then they just shutdown . So we had a snapper fish but the current was roaring at 2 knots plus , so no snapper . After last weeks report of maruding marlin I was hoping to meet a few but the water was green , so no luck there either .

Cheers……. Dogtooth :1fishing1: …….. John……. :beersmile:

post-692-1236586101_thumb.jpg

110 cm KING 10 .7 KG

post-692-1236586137_thumb.jpg

Jyes Fish

post-692-1236586857_thumb.jpg

The Catch

Edited by dogtooth

Fantastic effort dog tooth,

You are on fire and I bet that size king would have given you a great arm wrestle.

Twin 1 :beersmile::beersmile:

ps. were you using a slab bait or a whole livie, if a livie mate can you explain to us how you rig it and how you present it, this would make for an awsome read .

:1yikes: Good work Dogtooth! You travel so much these days it might be an idea to sell vacuum cleaners along the way. :thumbup: Not only that, no where else is firing for jewfish at the moment except the Georges so it might pay to forget kingfish and vacuum cleaners and do an allnighter in the Georges ay.

Cheers mate

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Seriously Dogtooth, it's just not fair!

I've never caught so many kings as this season, but have had so few keepers.

You have to tell us. What is it that you do so different?

Nice fish, the 70-80cm ones look like livies next to the big mumma.

Dave