Herring-like Fish?

zephi

Question

Anyone know what fish this could be?

post-7483-1236766569_thumb.jpg

Was fishing around Lugarno and netted it up for fun. It's currently in my fish tank. It's just over 10cm in length. I feed it peeled prawns and bread, but I have never caught one a hook before.

One thing I noticed when I feed it.... it NEVER eats off the bottom, as soon as the food hits the bottom it ignores it.

It looks like a good size for livebait.

It might be some sort of herring, but its definitely not the same as the ones people catch to use as livebait here. I've caught those before as well. They're plentiful around here atm.

Edited by zephi

17 answers to this question

Hi Zephi If that fish is what I think it is, it is one of the biddys

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

To me it doesn't look like the silver biddy which i occasionally catch. Different mouth and dorsal fin. Maybe a different species of one?

Never seen one like that in poddy traps anywhere near Lugarno or a silver biddy either but this year seems to be different. Can you can get a better colour pic mate. Someone else might know what type of biddy it is.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I cant ignore the mullet near its tail! Apart from being an awesome live bait i just love the fact that u have all these local species in a tank which looks pretty good actually!

Good stuff mate

Musty

I love the tank, it's my way of finding out their feeding habits and behavior. The tank has been flourishing recently, got so much green cabbage and a bit of weed growing in there now.

those things are suddenly appearing in georges river hav had many off them sometimes they look a bit like a see through juvvy bass to me :1prop: i dont know the name sorry

They're everywhere in the Georges atm, it's just that when you net them up (they're in schools), only end up catching tiny ones around 2-3cm in length. Those big ones are hard to come by. It's actually my first time seeing one, and was very lucky to be able to catch it

Edited by zephi

I think it may be a glass fish, Ambassis jacksoniensis , Port Jackson glassfish. can be found in and around Sydney and its estuaries.

I think you maybe right, glass fish...

Do you know if they're a good live bait?

Looks like what we use to refer to as "Silvergill" as a kid, but pretty sure the "Glassfish" reference is more correct. Generally only 3 -4 cm long, but occasionally we would get bigger ones.

Cheers,

Bob.

I think you maybe right, glass fish...

Do you know if they're a good live bait?

i had one swimming in lugarno as live bait out wide for about an hour so they didnt do any good there heheh

i asked a kid in Lugarno there on the second day (who said he was a local) what sort of fish it was and he reckoned they were tailors lol! Didnt resemble a tailor to me but i've never seen really small ones i guess........if thats the case i wouldnt be getting any more as livies for obvious reasons heheh

btw the ones under the wharf there were a lot bigger than 3-4cm.....i think they were more around 8-10cm mark

Edited by dinos22

i had one swimming in lugarno as live bait out wide for about an hour so they didnt do any good there heheh

i asked a kid in Lugarno there on the second day (who said he was a local) what sort of fish it was and he reckoned they were tailors lol! Didnt resemble a tailor to me but i've never seen really small ones i guess........if thats the case i wouldnt be getting any more as livies for obvious reasons heheh

btw the ones under the wharf there were a lot bigger than 3-4cm.....i think they were more around 8-10cm mark

Well I can easily net them up at night, because they're always hanging around the calm water along the structures. I've searched up glassfish and the features are the same.

Ah, another Lugarno fisherman... BTW I've seen a squid eating one of those fish on the surface of the water once. From that I just assumed they could possibly be a good live-bait.

Yeah it's a Glassy alright.

I used them for livies when I was a kid. Never did any good on them though.

Cheers,

Grant.

Ah thanks for the info. I'll avoid using them then. They look like they'll die pretty quickly with a hook in it.

Ah thanks for the info. I'll avoid using them then. They look like they'll die pretty quickly with a hook in it.

I have had a few of the in my tank before.

They are pretty interesting to keep.

I could never find a name or species for them until i saw them at the aquarium.

They called the an Estuary Perchlet.

Didnt have a species name though.

I have also seen them called glass fish since then.

The ones i have seen range from 2cm - 10cm and i actually caught a 3cm on a tiny hook and a spec of bread once, Thats easily the smallest thing i have ever caught on line.

I have had a few of the in my tank before.

They are pretty interesting to keep.

I could never find a name or species for them until i saw them at the aquarium.

They called the an Estuary Perchlet.

Didnt have a species name though.

I have also seen them called glass fish since then.

The ones i have seen range from 2cm - 10cm and i actually caught a 3cm on a tiny hook and a spec of bread once, Thats easily the smallest thing i have ever caught on line.

I can see why they are called the estuary perchlet, they kinda resemble the estuary perch....

Googling doesnt come up with many results though.

I see a lot of the 1-2cm sizes in small shoals along the edges of structure in calm waters. At night the big ones come out and netting them is a breeze... They can't see well and react very slowly too.

I have been catching a few around Lugarno also over the last few weeks.

I thought that they were herring and I can tell you now, scaled a filletted they make some fantastic bream baits. I was sure there is no size restriction on these little guys however I'm wrong then can someone let me know. If they are then disregard the contents of the second sentence!!!