Quick Question

clem

Hey there again raiders.

I am planning to use live bait this weekend which is a first for me.

1. I assume yellowtail and stripies are good for this and similar shaped fish as well.

2. Once I have sea water in the bucket do I need to change it eventhough I will have an air-rater running?

My plan is to get them the afternoon and hopefully they last till the night for a session.

3. Do I need to add salt to the water or will it last?

4. One last thing.What size hook should I use?

Planning to leave round about 12pm tomorrow so if I do not get back to any of your replies it would be because I am unable to access a computer.This is a bit late but it is a last minute decision to use them.

I will however give them a go during the day as I will be away for the weekend at lake illawarra/Windang.

Cheers Clem

P.S. THIS IS A REAL SILLY QUESTION.

IF BY SOME MIRACLE I DO CATCH SOMETHING BIG HOW DO I CUT IT UP?

Can I approach a shop who sells fish and ask them to and what can I expect to be charged?

Yeh this is one long QUICK QUESTION :1prop:

Hey there again raiders.

I am planning to use live bait this weekend which is a first for me.

1. I assume yellowtail and stripies are good for this and similar shaped fish as well.

2. Once I have sea water in the bucket do I need to change it eventhough I will have an air-rater running?

My plan is to get them the afternoon and hopefully they last till the night for a session.

3. Do I need to add salt to the water or will it last?

4. One last thing.What size hook should I use?

Planning to leave round about 12pm tomorrow so if I do not get back to any of your replies it would be because I am unable to access a computer.This is a bit late but it is a last minute decision to use them.

I will however give them a go during the day as I will be away for the weekend at lake illawarra/Windang.

Cheers Clem

P.S. THIS IS A REAL SILLY QUESTION.

IF BY SOME MIRACLE I DO CATCH SOMETHING BIG HOW DO I CUT IT UP?

Can I approach a shop who sells fish and ask them to and what can I expect to be charged?

Yeh this is one long QUICK QUESTION :1prop:

You are right Clem,this is a silly question.

If you want to know how to use live baits such as stripies and yakkas ?? you wont put any stripies in a bucket mate :tease:

Ask this type of question if you are only using small baitfish such as slimies or yellowtail or mullet.

Cheers Stewy

You are right Clem,this is a silly question.

If you want to know how to use live baits such as stripies and yakkas ?? you wont put any stripies in a bucket mate :tease:

Ask this type of question if you are only using small baitfish such as slimies or yellowtail or mullet.

Cheers Stewy

SORRY STEWART

I meant slimies.

SILLY QUESTION AGAIN

Are they the ones with stripes on them that you fish for at your feet.Basically I will only be using the small fish that are shaped like yellowtail.

AM I NOT BEING SILLY NOW? :1prop:

Clem,

Yes you will still need to change the water. The slime offf the fish will quickly kill the fish if its not changed. I find that the most slime comes off them in the first hour after catching 'em. After that I change the water a bit less often.

No need to add salt. Just refresh the water instead.

I usually use 6/0 hooks but could go bigger or smaller depending on the size of the live bait.

If you cant fillet the fish you catch just cut it into steaks (slices).

Good luck

Evets

Clem,

Yes you will still need to change the water. The slime offf the fish will quickly kill the fish if its not changed. I find that the most slime comes off them in the first hour after catching 'em. After that I change the water a bit less often.

No need to add salt. Just refresh the water instead.

I usually use 6/0 hooks but could go bigger or smaller depending on the size of the live bait.

If you cant fillet the fish you catch just cut it into steaks (slices).

Good luck

Evets

Thanks 4 the feedback.

Cheers Clem

Hey Clem,

those striped fish that you fish for at your feet are called mado's and are not much good for live baiting, or anything else for that matter!

Are these the culprits?

post-4050-1237410769_thumb.jpg

The species predominantly used for live baiting include squid, slimies, bonito, frigates and yellowtail

Thanks for the replies.

I am sure a good few readers got a laugh out of this topic and at least a handfull should have learned something to.

Yes Bobfish these are the culprates and I guess I will not be using them.

Will be trying everything under the sun and dark this weekend that I can think of.

As for the time,well you see I am running late due to the :wife: not doing her bit. :1prop:

Yeh Yeh so I found time to putt up a report.This is my way of getting attention from her. :tease:

Anyway I should be off in the next hour hopefully.

Cheers Clem