1990 Evinrude 90 Won't Start

doog

Hi guys

I have a 1990 model 90 HP Evinrude that refuses to start. Up until this week, the motor has been fantastic with no sign of an issue and is in A1 condition.

The starter engages and gives a slow turn and then turns the motor over however it does not start. There seems to be huge resistance with a small puff of smoke coming from the starter. Prolonged turnover sees the wiring get hot. (Only needed to see this once not to try it again). Isolation switch contacts are clean.

I have pulled the plugs out and the motor spins over freely. No sign of water and the plugs are a good colour.

the starter was overhauled two years ago. I am stumped.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by doog

Which wiring got hot? How hot and is it now permanently damaged?

Relay contacts stuffed, dropped cell on battery top of my list. Next is a bendix issue where it isn't engaging and releasing the flywheel gear cleanly under load but unlikely if it was OK in your previous tests

Firstly try a known good battery or with plugs in check voltage of battery with multimeter and voltage drop when you turn it over. If drops below 10- 10.5 might be battery cell.

Test by powering starter motor directly to see if it is wiring , relay or starter motor issue.

If the wires got really hot worth checking current drop on them otherwise you may gradually have starter probs or worst case a fire with a cooked lead

Whatever you do don't just strap on another part and think it will be all OK ( like what possibly happened with the previous starter) as i is really worth the time to check alt output, wire resistance for damage so you know you have it all resolved.

Edited by pelican

With the wiring getting hot I would suspect a starter or battery problem. Get them both checked. If it is a battery problem you may need to check your alternator to see if it is charging the battery correctly. The biggest reason a battery goes faulty is due to alternators not charging correctly.

Do what Pelican said. If it drops out below 10 volts, Replace battery but you have to remeber that this test is applicable when the battery is 90%+ charged. So get a fully charged(12.6-12.8 volts at rest) up battery to test and check for voltage drops onto connections and positive cable is not oxidize w/c can cause voltage drop and overheating cable as there is too much load or meaning electrical current will travel slower and in a diminished rate.

One of the causes a battery will fail is either battery has sulfation present on the plates, Battery not being maintained at 90% charged which will cause the evelope material for the plates to fall apart(the black thing under those screw on lids) or simply battery too old(3-4yrs old?)

Remember charging system is only good enough to charge your battery up to 80-85%.

Hopefully this info will help you.

Thanks guys. Will check all this out.

Wiring will need replacing, but I think it is a result, not the cause. I will run the starter directly off a known good battery through a switch and se if I get the same problem.

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi guys

I have a 1990 model 90 HP Evinrude that refuses to start. Up until this week, the motor has been fantastic with no sign of an issue and is in A1 condition.

The starter engages and gives a slow turn and then turns the motor over however it does not start. There seems to be huge resistance with a small puff of smoke coming from the starter. Prolonged turnover sees the wiring get hot. (Only needed to see this once not to try it again). Isolation switch contacts are clean.

I have pulled the plugs out and the motor spins over freely. No sign of water and the plugs are a good colour.

the starter was overhauled two years ago. I am stumped.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Andrew

Hi there Doog

Check out the kill switch at the controls, ive seen this happen a few times before

Cheers