Pittwater Session

framedtrash

set off around 10am from bayview ran into some fisherman at the boat ramp and they told us it was not worth going out nothing was biting and there was no squid around

so without taking there advice we headed strait to our secret squid spot and loaded a nice squid on first cast

which was followed by a even larger squid a few min later my mate lands him and gets a good inking

we stuck around for another 30min but didn't have any more luck

we then went around to Portuguese beach and i dropped out my squid and starting having a few flicks with some SP's

all of a sudden the water comes alive with thousands of little bait fish getting smashed by something

so we switched to our smallest SP and start flicking into the bait balls and start pulling in frigets ( i think thats what there called)

few min later my mate is onto some thing big line is peeling off his reel like there's no tomorrow after a good 10min fight we finally see whats doing the pulling and its a good 65cm kingie

but this is where it gets sad as we where pulling the fish in the braid got caught on this little bolt at the back of my boat and cut the braid loosing the fish

after a few tears we start flicking back into the bait ball

then all of a sudden the bait fish decide to hide behind my prop as i look down i can see this 70+cm kingie just swimming around my boat without a care in the world

i quickly rig up a whole squid and drop it in front of him and he doesn’t even care he just looked at it and went on doing his thing

he was swimming around the boat for about 4min wasn’t even going after the bait fish was just slowly swimming around the boat picking little things off the surface

there were a few other boats fishing around us now all pulling in frigets and 2 boats we saw pulled in nice size kingies

so at the end of the day we went home with some frigets and a good feed of squid

sadly only got the one photo my phone was dead and mate only took 1 photo

BTW whats a good way to cook these frigets

img0002zot.jpg

Mate

i was out at Pittwater as well.

Similar to you guys, lauched at Bayview and out to our squid location, managed to get only 1 after trying for about 2 hrs.

We then tried yellowtails, could see them but our baits were being eaten by other small fish before the yellow tails could get to it.

Well with 1 nice squid, we tried our for our kingfish. The sounder at one stage went off, and while trolling our squid i saw plenty of kingfish below us but wouldnt take our bait.

Sorry to say - no kingfish.

Not sure what im doing wrong but good to see you guys at least caught something.

:thumbdown:

yeh after getting the squid and other baits

alll of the fish we caught we off soft plastics

even the guys catching the kingies on other boats where all caught using small SP's

they just didn't want any thing to do with fresh bait

i had a good size squid floating on the nose of a good 70cm kingie and he just looked at it went to the surface and ate like a fly off the surface then just kept swimming around the boat

if i had a spear i could of got him

or if i had a few more beers i could of jumped on him

well there's always next weekend :)

might even take a trip into the harbor and try my luck there

HAHA funny u should mention about making the same mistake with the bolt

its actually the 2nd time its happened

lost a big pike the same way a few weeks back but i thought the problem was fixed

the real problem is that i dont keep a net in the boat at all times

that problem has now been fixed tho along with the bolt

frigates fight rather well for there size they like a 2yr old on a sugar high

cant wait to get out again this weekend

might have to get out there after work some time too

i had a good size squid floating on the nose of a good 70cm kingie and he just looked at it went to the surface and ate like a fly off the surface then just kept swimming around the boat

mmmm Kingy on dry fly.

Now that would be something.