Box Head Fishless-sat 21st

Bolts

Hi Raiders,

Left Woy Woy boat ramp 3:30pm on saturday arvo. As we came up to Rip bridge we passed another boat with 2 guys holding up what looked like to be a massive Jewie. Great catch guys. So as always when you see another boat with big fish you get your hopes up.

We hit Box Head and trolled deep diver lures up the shoreline to a bommie just out from Bouddi. Nada!

Dropped the berley bomb near the bommie. Straight away the yakkas and slimeys swarmed the bomb and we loaded up on quite a few. Then started a slow drift back towards box head using all possible well known baits...Livies/fresh squid strips/fresh slimey slab baits/pilchards. We threw all baits down there and came up with....1 x 27cm Reddie, back he goes.

Anchored just outside Box head for the twilight and with a high tide right on dusk...We all thought "ya can't get better conditions than this", we were wrong. Stayed till around 8:30 and got.....Nada. Again we threw all possible baits down.

We then hit rip bridge thinking we might duplicate what that other boat did earlier. Dropped down 2 live yakkas. Gave it an hour or so before we said we'll call it a night. Pulled our baits up, mine had been devoured by crabs I'd say and was covered in these maggot/lice looking critters. They sure do give a bit of a nip as well. Anyone know what these things are called?

Mates yakka was bitten in half and sure enough it was the half without the hook.

What went wrong? Has anyone else had any luck around Box head or were we wasting our time there?

..........As we came up to Rip bridge we passed another boat with 2 guys holding up what looked like to be a massive Jewie. Great catch guys. So as always when you see another boat with big fish you get your hopes up.

..........Anchored just outside Box head for the twilight and with a high tide right on dusk.......Stayed till around 8:30 and got.....Nada. Again we threw all possible baits down.

We then hit rip bridge thinking we might duplicate what that other boat did earlier. Dropped down 2 live yakkas. Gave it an hour or so before we said we'll call it a night. Pulled our baits up, was covered in these maggot/lice looking critters.

What went wrong? Has anyone else had any luck around Box head or were we wasting our time there?

If it was me I would have given those Rip Bridge blokes a huge thumbs up like waving at grandpa and grandma, grabbed some livies at little box, went back to the rip and politely anchored well clear of them, taken the flow of the tide away from them, and left them in no mans land where they belong :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

HI Bolts,

I got to the Rip on Saturday arvo ~6pm with nippers, a live squid and frozen Hawksburry squid. I fished through the tide change ~8:30pm for only 1 X 30cm bream and 1 X 50cm flattie. Overall very quiet so I dont think you were doing anything wrong at all.

the 3:30pm capture of a big jewie is unusual as most large jew come on the top or bottom of the tide, preferably just on dark. Just shows you have to have a bait in the water at any time to have a chance.

Yeah those lice are a bugger and they attacked my baits too. They only come out after dark and make large baits very unattractive to big fish. I even tried suspending a squid off the bottom and they still found it.

Were you in a center console with a couple of other blokes as one came nearby to me just after dark? I was in a 5m Quintrex cuddy cabin, solo.

G,day mate, I have found Box Head a great spot for all sorts of livies but that is all, now you can get good fish there but like Byron said go back to the Rip Bridge area just on dusk and a few hours into the evening, Hutch and I did this on Friday night and caught things and had a nice jewie run ..

Better luck next time and maybe try the Rip Daleys Point side towards Hardys Bay..

Cheers..

Next time I'll give that a go.

Someone once told me that Box head sometimes produces Kingies. Not sure if that was a long time ago or recently.

Scienceman, Don't think that was us. We were'nt on a centre consul. There was 3 of us on board though. We had a boat close to us but I'm sure there was a coupld on board. Nice one with the Bream and Flatty. We should of done what Ray and Jewgaffer said and got to the bridge earlier.

Nice spot at the bridge when the tide turns, not quite so nice when the tide is raging :)

Cheers