Lbg

Hey everyone

I was just reading an article in a fishing Mag about shark fishing from the beach responsibly of course and ive never done Game at all so im not familiar with the gear.

what i have gathered from a first look is that im gonna need like 30 or 40lb mono Line, im thinking a 10 - 12ft rod (not sure what rating it should be?) and i read that about a metre or two of wire trace.

is there anything else anyone would suggest for this as i might try this in the future.

Also what kind of gear am i going to need to use wire trace and whats the cheapest way to do it?

Cheers

Cory

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bit late on this one, but anyway.....

As you saw, dont need a long rod. With that size line, a 10-12ft rod will kill you in no time. Just go for a stroker.

If you have access to a zodiac then you are set, no paddling baits out. In calm conditions a small tinnie or even a kayak would be good. As its coming up to westerly time, it might be so flat that you dont even need to and just drift it out with a good size balloon.

Dont skimp on the reel or go too small, you will regret. Plenty of good game reels out there. TLDs are good for the money, I prefer the 2 spd as they are a tougher reel. If you are willing to spend more then it opens right up to lots of different brands. I personally rarely use the low gear off the land, so dont stress about making sure you have 2 spd reel

Make sure you have something to protect you reel with on the beach, especially if its windy the sand will get through everything. Was packing for a recent trip and hadnt payed much attention after last beach shark session and my TLD was chockers with sand. Midnight strip session was had then (no, the reel!)

Bit late on this one, but anyway.....

As you saw, dont need a long rod. With that size line, a 10-12ft rod will kill you in no time. Just go for a stroker.

If you have access to a zodiac then you are set, no paddling baits out. In calm conditions a small tinnie or even a kayak would be good. As its coming up to westerly time, it might be so flat that you dont even need to and just drift it out with a good size balloon.

Dont skimp on the reel or go too small, you will regret. Plenty of good game reels out there. TLDs are good for the money, I prefer the 2 spd as they are a tougher reel. If you are willing to spend more then it opens right up to lots of different brands. I personally rarely use the low gear off the land, so dont stress about making sure you have 2 spd reel

Make sure you have something to protect you reel with on the beach, especially if its windy the sand will get through everything. Was packing for a recent trip and hadnt payed much attention after last beach shark session and my TLD was chockers with sand. Midnight strip session was had then (no, the reel!)

I had to use the low gear on jaws that i hooked earlier this year hey grumpy.

I couldn't move the damn thing it was so big.

Tell you what, that jump is engraved in my memory and will be forever.

BTK if your serious about LBG sharking and are thinking of doing it properly for 200kg-300kg sharks then i think you need an LBG game chair, 80W overhead reel with 1000m of 80lb line, lots of patience, big baits and if you do hook one you'll need mates around.

Big sharks are dangerous, they are dangerous to fight on heavy gear, and dangerous to land.

One other little tip, don't put a fixed gaff into a big shark, you will need a re-inforced flying gaff and you'll need to know how to use it.

The hole it left in the water was pretty memorable as well. That was the ledge clean up weekend wasnt it?

Yeah thats the one, man i remember it taking the bait like it was yesterday! the dorsal 2ft high, the tail 3ft high out of the water and me just reacting and striking cause its a shark. It all became clear how big it was when it jumped and it was as long as my challenger and the maths started to click.

mmmm mako

mmmm big mako

mmmmmm maybe 300+kg mako

mmmmmmmm 24kg line LBG

mmmmmmmmmm They fight pretty good too

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm This is gonna hurt and could cost me all my line, ohh well better go to oerstrike

lolololol

• 2 months later...

hey guys just thought id bump this up and as an idea wondering if any guys would be keen coming up to summer for some lb sharks ive fished off the stones since me old man gave me a chance to and fished the beach for a while before that neways keen to go out and stretch out the tld and snyder rod on something serz and as mentioned above doin it with some guys with exp is a good idea