Where Were All The Predators ?

dalton

Hi fellow Raiders , Long time reader first time report. went out after work with a mate to chase some frigate and bonito in the Hacking , but nothing but glass and the rumble of a storm coming up from the south. :1badmood:

Finally we see some birds diving in the distance , we race over to see massive schools of bait fish as far as we could see :1fishing1: we were casting at them like crazy but with no knocks or anything . :thumbdown:

we went through every sp and slug we had still nothing

we then saw a boat casting a live bait jig at them , he was catching what looked like pilchards , so we looked through our tackle boxes for a livie jig and only found one. we were straight on to five , then another five .

we almost filled the live well ,but they die very quickly

we were so sure there was goona be some predators around but not a thing . :mad3:

on dark we left the schools and trolled backed to the boat ramp and managed a few 30cm tailor .

so i guess it was not that bad we managed to get some good bait for next outing .cheers

i would love to know some of your thoughts on why there nothing chomping these bait schools

the same thing happened to me last week. Was out on the hacking early morning saturday and the water in the river was glassy and you could see the bait fish jumping around. Parked near them and casted into them but no takers at all...

Same story in Middle Harbour. There has been a school located at our Spot X for the last week. It would measure 50m x 50m at times and yet there are very few predators around smashing them up.

Hi fellow Raiders , Long time reader first time report. went out after work with a mate to chase some frigate and bonito in the Hacking , but nothing but glass and the rumble of a storm coming up from the south. :1badmood:

Finally we see some birds diving in the distance , we race over to see massive schools of bait fish as far as we could see :1fishing1: we were casting at them like crazy but with no knocks or anything . :thumbdown:

we went through every sp and slug we had still nothing

we then saw a boat casting a live bait jig at them , he was catching what looked like pilchards , so we looked through our tackle boxes for a livie jig and only found one. we were straight on to five , then another five .

we almost filled the live well ,but they die very quickly

we were so sure there was goona be some predators around but not a thing . :mad3:

on dark we left the schools and trolled backed to the boat ramp and managed a few 30cm tailor .

so i guess it was not that bad we managed to get some good bait for next outing .cheers

i would love to know some of your thoughts on why there nothing chomping these bait schools

Next time you bring a livie in....why not rig it and throw it back in the pack....we picked up a few nice Bonnie's in coff's doing just that...same problem slimey's busting up every where but couldn't connect to the preditors below with the placcy's or silvers....lobbed out a rigged slimy and Whamo'

I hear you buddy.

I tried on Monday morning and its the first time in many months I've not seen one fish hit the surface other than baitfish. They were so confident they were swimming right out in the open (they usually hang practically under the rocks).

IFS