1996 Mercury 30hp.... Workshop Manual

AZZ00

oil injected 2 STROKE

Out in Botany today trowling and the motor warning buzzer started to sound......... Thinking maybe a thermostat problem it sat for about an hour to let it cool and started again same thing. Had to be towed back to the ramp just to be safe.

Back home Checked thermostat and opens OK.

The alarm sounds even when you turn the key before you try to start it.

ANY IDEAS ??????????????

DOES ANYONE HAVE A WORKSHOP MANUAL. I HAVE LOOKED IN THE STANDARD MANUAL AND DOESN'T EVEN MENTION THE ALARM SYSTEM....

Edited by AZZ00

Hi ,

The alarm is for the oil injection system not functioning . Check your oil reservior is full and your fill caps are on tight . The system may need to be bled if you ran it low....

Check here for troubleshooting.......http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/mercuryOilInjection.html

Cheers Dogtooth...... :1fishing1: John.... :beersmile:

Hi ,

The alarm is for the oil injection system not functioning . Check your oil reservior is full and your fill caps are on tight . The system may need to be bled if you ran it low....

Check here for troubleshooting.......http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/mercuryOilInjection.html

Cheers Dogtooth...... :1fishing1: John.... :beersmile:

Thank you very much DOGTOOTH

I will have a good read on the site you provided.

Just a quick question..... Would the alarm still sound when the key is turned to the ON position before I turn it to START position?

The oil has never been low it was about 1/2 to 3/4 full at the time but I have since filled it all the way.

When motoring to say a fishing spot and we pull up and put motor into neutural the motor will rev high and slowly come down to the normal idle speed. It seems that the FAST IDLE is stuck on. ANY IDEAS???

It might be an idea to mention I ran the motor all morning and forgot to undo the breather valve on the fuel tank and created a vacume and sucked the fuel tank in.

any imput would be great as I am at a loss to what is going on.

I am no expert that is for sure, but a mate of mine who has lived on boats since a youngin has told me that so many oil injections screw up and dont actually read/ inject oil at the proposed amounts. He told me that when he buys any motors that he disconnects any auto injection and mixes himself. I guess other raiders that know more on the topic may be able to elaborate in more detail or completely disagree. I am no expert on marine engines but car engines are the same. Most new cars these days have computers that read all sorts of stats but many are constructed of substandard parts and therefore fail and thus resulting in inadequate readings. If these reading effect the ability to start then you are in deep trouble unless you are a genius in engines and computers.

Edited by Wantingaboat

Try and find the wire that leads from your oil alarm and disconnect them. If that kills it that is what it is. My cable was brown/blue. Mine still went off with the engine off and the ignition key on. The float on mine or whatever it is ran low and has got stuck so I disconnected it for a short term fix.

Hi ,

check the float in your oil reservoir tank , it works off a magnetic signal so try and move it up and down with a piece of coathanger wire to see if the alarm stops with key on . There is also a small gauze filter located on those reservoirs that might need cleaning . Have a good read of those earlier instructions as it might need bleeding ....

Do not disconnect the buzzer your motor might have an air lock in the oil injection system and injecting NO OIL ....... DANGER BLOWN ENGINE

If you are unable to fix this then it may be time for expert help from an outboard mechanic ....

Cheers Dogtooth.... :1fishing1: John.... :beersmile:

Just to clarify, if the engine is off and the alarm is still going off with the ignition on it is most likely the float is stuck.

yep just checked float and your right if i get a coat hanger and hold float up the alarm stops but if i let go it starts i filled it back up with oil and alarm sounds straight away but if i put coat hanger back in and put a little pressure on float upwards it stops can i adjust it at all or is it replace whole oil tank :wacko:

Hi, if you want your low oil warning to work and from what you have explained by removing a wire from the sender in the bottom of the tank the horn stops, then mostly likely will be the float and yes the you need to buy a complete tank. Other option is to just disconnect the sender in the tank and pay attention to the oil level before using the boat. If at the start of the day the tank is full, you are not going to use a full tank in one day.

Cheers,

Huey.