Sussex Inlet/st Georges Basin?

fran1mat

Hi Raiders,

I have been a long time admirer of this site, but have only recently been in a position to join the ranks.

My wife is into the whole social networking bit and wanted to help me to set one of those pages up, I just laughed her off telling her I would be way to busy with the Fishraider Forums, and here I am.

I thought this the perfect opportunity to pick some very large fishing brains. Later in May I am taking my 4.2 metre (30 hp) tinny to Vincentia with a couple of mates for a long weekend.

I am very keen to try fishing the Sussex Inlet and St Georges Basin area, but don't really know where to start. As much as I would love to explore around, just trying new spots that look good to me, I am a bit short of time so any hints or tips of where to try from anyone that has fished down the way, would really be appreciated.

Thanks and I look forward to making all of you acquantinces on-line in the very near future.

Hi Raiders,

I have been a long time admirer of this site, but have only recently been in a position to join the ranks.

My wife is into the whole social networking bit and wanted to help me to set one of those pages up, I just laughed her off telling her I would be way to busy with the Fishraider Forums, and here I am.

I thought this the perfect opportunity to pick some very large fishing brains. Later in May I am taking my 4.2 metre (30 hp) tinny to Vincentia with a couple of mates for a long weekend.

I am very keen to try fishing the Sussex Inlet and St Georges Basin area, but don't really know where to start. As much as I would love to explore around, just trying new spots that look good to me, I am a bit short of time so any hints or tips of where to try from anyone that has fished down the way, would really be appreciated.

Thanks and I look forward to making all of you acquantinces on-line in the very near future.

Hi mate,

Just got back from st georges basin only last week and got pretty lucky. I fish the basin once/twice a year and have always enjoyed it. I'm sure others probably know it much better and I have always left my boat at home, so can only give you land based options. I've fished it from a boat once or twice but frankly, I love the idea of grabbing a rod and bum bag carrying an assortment of plastics and HB.....and hitting the flats and weeds. When it gets colder I throw on some waders, that's it.

Anyway, typically species encountered is bream, flatties, luderick, tailor and whiting. Prawns on a dark night are always fun, some for bait, rest for the pan.

I generally fish out the front of palm beach.....most boats I see are drifting over weed belts or fishing near the inlet.

Hope that helps,

Niko

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the sussex myself and there wasn't much around. In the basin I know of a few fishos fishing the artifical reefs and not much to report there, plenty of tailor out there but were not biting. I fish around the mouth of the basin there is some nice spots around there. outgoing tide drift into the river and you might get a flatty (if it's a bit busy you can't really do that) I picked up a 50cm flatty in the river just outside the RSL club on the weekend and lost another bit smaller at the boat. I was using poddies but many have been getting flatties on SP.

Oh and watch out for the rays there seems to be many around but never hooked one (lucky me)

Aaron

yea i usually go up to sussex inlet every year, at this time last yea, the Tailor were chopping like crazy, within 10 minutes of fishing we had 6 fish or so, with metal lures. thats what i got around this time last year, and 1 big bream that cut me off on the oysters, but yea. Tailor is the main fish at sussex at this times, didnt go into the basin at that time. But i went to the Alemien Resort thingo or what ever, and we also reeled in one whopper of a lizard at 75CM on a plastic, but that one was pretty much luck i say but yea, gl.

Edited by Luke1