First Time Carp Fishing

topgun

Hi fellow Fishraiders,

I got told about a place to fish for carp near my local area of campbelltown, so I did a bit of research on the net about carp rigs and baits and set off on sat about 12:30. Armed with 2 rods and some sweet corn and bread as bait, I was happy to find I had this beautiful place all to myself :1prop: .

I went about rigging up and took in the scenery as the waiting game begun. Didnt have to wait long as the smaller outfit with 6lb braid took off at a rate of knots and there was nothing i could do to stop it :1yikes: I was just about to be spooled when the 8lb leader shredded on a snag. WOW talk about being blown away, I quickly realised I had underestimated carp as a powerful fish.

Soon after i had my leader shreadded on the 12lb combo twice :ranting2: A small change of tactics while fighting the next couple of fish had me land 2 at 73cm and 81cm. gees they weigh a ton trying to lift them up with the net!

Anyway got dusted another 2 times then decided to call it a day and return another day with some heavier leader to really stop these guys in their tracks.

Also accidently hooked a little turtle which had his photo taken and was then quickly released!

Here are a few pics of the fish and the area!

P.S the fish were killed and buried away from the water as per thr fisheries regulations.

post-8045-1238397114_thumb.jpg

post-8045-1238397107_thumb.jpg

post-8045-1238397125_thumb.jpg

post-8045-1238397135_thumb.jpg

post-8045-1238397149_thumb.jpg

Hi topgun,

Those are some big carp. Well done.

I took my brother down to Mauldon Weir just near my in-laws joint at Picton and we went bushwalking with the rods in search of a bass.

No Bass, but I hooked a carp and another little fish that I have no idea what it was. The carp I caught was only about 35cm but it pulled like a steam train. I actually caught it on a tiny wriggler SP would you believe.

Next time I am going back armed with the corn kernals and some bread, i was sight casting to some bigger fish and they just swam on by without a care in the world.

Old mate carp was one of my few non-catch'n'release. He was left for the birds and foxes.

• 2 months later...

hey man just read your post searching through some older posts ne chance of some more direction on where you got em got some mates out that way that are keen to get into fishing and figured carp arent a bad way to do it since they live out that way thanks for the hand man

hi .... i've been fishing for those smelly carp every weekend for at least 3 months.. its great fun and great for the kids to get hooked up to a big fish , they dont stop smiling .. its hard to find any spots in the nepean without any snags so fish as heavy as you can and hold on... :1fishing1: we have seen fish caught up to 10kg were you fish or in that same area.. nice to see someone else cleaning the river .. soon i might catch a native?????

I know you fisho`s like to keep your own spots to yourselves but I would like to take my children and try to catch a carp. So if you could give me some rough directions I would appreciate it. I live in Sutherland.

G'day mighty macs.

Most fishos don't like to give excact details of where they fish in a public forum. However I have found that if you p.m a member directly that they are usually more than happy to help out. :thumbup:

Give it a go.

Cheers,

Grant.

If anyone is interested in a carp fishing session with kids around Campbelltown, call in and see the monks in the monastry on Narellan Road just before you get to the lights at the turn off to Macarthur University...

....There is quite a large pond alongside the bitumin driveway that goes to the monastry building that can be seen from Narellan Road and the whole vicinity smells out carp....

I've been in this area for over 35 years now and, I have seen birds dropping more turds in the monks pond than there were bombs dropped over Europe in WW2 .....Take the kids down there, I'd love to look at the pics and read the report :biggrin2:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

some nice carp there mate i have a friend who owns a dam out near camden with some monster carp the farm record is now 94cm im hanging to get down there again will let u all know and we can organise a carp day i will post a topic so all interests can be shown there. once again top fish mate well done

Hi fishraiders, sorry for the late reply, the fish were caught at the end of cobitty rd. theres an open space there that you can park but the fishing area is very limited. I wouldnt fish with more than 2 people there as it would be too crowded.

Hey Fishraiders

Never under estimate the humble carp, they go really well!!! particularly on lite stuff. Well worth the fight.

Also for those interested I have done Duck Creek in Auburn, when I'm bored with nothing else to do.

A Big flood years ago went through the Japanaese Gadens there and washed out all the Coi carp into the creek. They have been breeding there ever since.

Burley same place for a few days at same time go back and bingo!!!

Word of caution DO NOT EAT anything from Duck Creek needless to say why. Not that you would eat them anyway.

Tight Lines and may "Rod be with You."

Trapper Tom

Impressive! You used to be able to catch those mungrels in Centennial Park in the 80's. Well done.

If anyone is interested in a carp fishing session with kids around Campbelltown, call in and see the monks in the monastry on Narellan Road just before you get to the lights at the turn off to Macarthur University...

....There is quite a large pond alongside the bitumin driveway that goes to the monastry building that can be seen from Narellan Road and the whole vicinity smells out carp....

I've been in this area for over 35 years now and, I have seen birds dropping more turds in the monks pond than there were bombs dropped over Europe in WW2 .....Take the kids down there, I'd love to look at the pics and read the report :biggrin2:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

:Funny-Post::074: