Fishing In The Rain

Wantingaboat

Hi Raiders,

Just returned from a pretty sad outing in the boat. Me and my mate Leroy knew the weather was bad and forecast to continue for some time. As i get Tuesdays arvo off i cant give up the chance to get out there. Anyway we hoped that the rain might ease so put the boat in at Drummoyne at about 2pm but it was very dreary. The only place that i could think we could fish and somewhat stay dry was under iron cove bridge. Anyway to cut a long story short i lost a rod that fell out of one of my new rod holders. It was a tiny bream rod and i guess the reel was hindering it from fully going into the mount as the but is quite short. We were changing pilons and i gased the tinny. Anchored at the next location and i turned around to see no rod!!! I suppose when i gave it some juice it just flopped out. I had caught a decent 30cm bream on it already but i had no other light rod to continue with any success. Surprisingly on my mates last cast he felt a good weight and called it for a decent flatty. It turned out to be a monster blue swimmer crab with some equally enormous claws. I had left the net at home and we tried to get it in a big bucket but the crab was too big and wouldnt go in. Anyway he whipped it out and straight into the boat which it fell off the hook or let go straight away?? Not sure how he hooked it. I picked it up by the claws and turned it over and was thankful it was a male so into the esky it went.

It was a hard lesson to learn about the inefficiencies of the rod holders but i guess i am glad it was a relatively cheap rod. If anyone snags one under the bridge i hope that rod brings you as much joy as it did me.

No photos sorry. Didnt dare take it in the terrential rain.

I pulled the pin at 5.30am fair play to you for being persistant in this weather.

I'm always wary of my rods hanging out of the rod holders while steaming along.

The scotty's have a retainer, but as for the in hull ones I have a light lanyard that I clip on.

Don't want to turn around and see or not see a saltiga combo behind.

Thinking of putting a couple of stand up holders on the front of the bait board.

I pulled the pin at 5.30am fair play to you for being persistant in this weather.

I'm always wary of my rods hanging out of the rod holders while steaming along.

The scotty's have a retainer, but as for the in hull ones I have a light lanyard that I clip on.

Don't want to turn around and see or not see a saltiga combo behind.

Thinking of putting a couple of stand up holders on the front of the bait board.

not a bad idea to bolt some onto the bait board 4 transit, i might look at that meself.