My First Jew

huss z

HI RAIDERS

WENT TO BOTANY BAY WITH MY BRO INLAW AROUND 7PM .

TRYING TO FISH FOR BREAM USING YABBIES AND BANG MY ROD THE DRAG GOES OFF A COUPLE OF GOOD RUNS FELT HEAVY AFTER A COUPLE OF MINUTES I GET IT UP A JEW MY FIRST 56 CM .I WAS OVER EXCITED HAD A SMELL OF HIM TO KNOW WHAT THE FAMOUS JEW SCENT WAS ABOUT .LET HIM GO AND OFF HE WENT.TO LIVE ANOTHER DAY . :1fishing1:

Well done catching your first jewfish fish runner. Sounds like your 56 centimetre jew might have out come of the last lot of fingerlings that were released in the Georges.... After the recent rain it might be worth having another go in Botany Bay as the upriver fish may have gone right up into the Bay and the top of the tide jew might come inside the Bay to hunt baitfish as well.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Well done on your first. I'm yet to get off the mark but have been hitting the beach hard for several months now with livies, and strategies learnt from fellow Raiders posts, so hopefully not too long, if I can keep the sharks away from my bait.

"HAD A SMELL OF HIM TO KNOW WHAT THE FAMOUS JEW SCENT WAS ABOUT"

Huh? I've read a lot of Jew posts but I don't recall reading anything about this. What's that about? Also what are the jewels?

Edited by slabslinger

Well done on your first. I'm yet to get off the mark but have been hitting the beach hard for several months now with livies, and strategies learnt from fellow Raiders posts, so hopefully not too long, if I can keep the sharks away from my bait.

Huh? I've read a lot of Jew posts but I don't recall reading anything about this. What's that about? Also what are the jewels?

the smell of a jew is unique very kero like. some old timers reckon that they can smell jewys when they come into a gutter on a calm night .. the jewels are two bones called the otis they are pretty strange they are part of the earbone i believe . they are found at the top of the spine and are found in an almost plastic like poutch. the jewels get bigger as the fish gets bigger. they are almost ceramic .

the smell of a jew is unique very kero like. some old timers reckon that they can smell jewys when they come into a gutter on a calm night .. the jewels are two bones called the otis they are pretty strange they are part of the earbone i believe . they are found at the top of the spine and are found in an almost plastic like poutch. the jewels get bigger as the fish gets bigger. they are almost ceramic .

Hi Sleepy, there's some good information in what you say regarding the jewels as they are highly sensitive for detecting food and I reckon they can detect a struggling live bait for instance or a school of fish from say fifty metres away....

So if you were fishing the prime tide at say F&S and nothing happened after 30 minutes with a good rod spread of live bait out, it would pay to cross over to say Juno and if necessary chase the tide upriver and try again, before anchoring in at the changeover..

For the size jewfish grow to their back up diet along gutters are beach worms.... I was told that they skim along the bottom where worms are the thickes and excrete a substance as they go, and the sustance raises the worms... I believe the substance might contain the jewfish smell referred to.... I thought I was onto the smell one night until my mate checked his shoes. :lol: I've never struck the same smell since but I must say it would it have be more like yellow jaundice than kero :D

Nite nite sleepy, I'm feeling a bit on the tired side myself tonight from taking valium for a painfull back and leg spasms.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

There is nothing like the smell of a Jewie. Ive caught jewfish 10cm long and there smell still fills the boat even once they back in the water. I work at a tackle/seafood shop and when i walk in a can tell if we have fresh jewfish in by the smell. Nothing like a Jewie smell. Anyone no why they have such a distinct smell?

Ps: Nice job on your first jewie!

Edited by slimymac

Well done Fishrunner... now you can just concentrate on trying to catch a 20kg model :thumbup:

Cheers, Slinky

PS... It's better not to 'shout' in your posts mate (all capital letters)... its a bit hard to read :biggrin2:

Hey Slinky, he's excited mate!!!! let him shout away! :1prop: