Please Help The Gps Newbie

Guest TelcoBroker

Guest TelcoBroker

Ok, So I finally bought myself a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS and have decided it is time to input a few waypoints. I am noticing that the waypoints listed on the Fishraider website appear to be a few hundred meters "off" when they are displayed on the basic mapping software. I believe I have the unit configured correctly (Datum WGS84 and Lat/Lon hddd mm.mmm)

Could it be that the mapping software requires some calibration? Is it possible I have done something wrong?

Screen dumps should show what seem to be errors to me.

Guest bluecod

Telcobroker,

You've correctly established that your GPS unit should be set to WGS84 which is the International datum used for GPS, however your problem may lie in the chart datum. Do you know what datum the charts have been drawn to. They should have been based on the GDA [Geodetic Datum Australia] or GRS80. If they have been drawn to the AGD [Australian Geoid Datum] there will be approximately a 197 metre NE shift in your waypoints.

Reset your GPS calibration to AGD and see what difference it makes. If there is no difference you may have to go back to the manufacturer for a solution.

Guest bluecod
I am beginning to wonder if the waypoints are dead on but the map is out of whack as I have simply added the coordinates into the PC based software. I guess I can check it for sure when I am next on the water.

36800[/snapback]

That's what I was getting at in my earlier post, some of the older maps were based on a datum different to WGS84 and will generally show a difference of a couple of hundred metres compared to your GPS readings.

Check your manual there must be a way to adjust it.

Guest bluecod

Check to make sure your software is the latest release

Garmin Software for 60CS

It looks like you are using a terrestial chart whereas perhaps you should be using Map Source Blue Chart Pacific V6.5

Edited by bluecod

Use the marks to get your general area then sound out what u r after and mark them on your own gps. I have found marks given to me for the valient etc are not accurate using my gps but are accurate using theirs. Not sure of the reason why but I just sound out the wrecks, holes, reefs etc and mark them using my GPS. Its easier than trying to play with map datums etc :thumbup: