Plumbing A Live Bait Tank

river_bouy

Hi guys,

I have a 4.45m stacer CC. I have bought one of those plastic fish boxes and am going to cut a hole in the back corner of the boat to flush mount it as a live bait tank.

I have a 3/4 inch host attached to bilge pump and pickup-scoop and have bought a 1-1/2 inch hose for the overflow.

Obviously the overflow goes at the top of the box, but where should I put the inlet hose? In the past I have also put the inlet host at the top but have read that this does not circulate the water as well. Is it okay to put the inlet hose at the bottom? Or will water then drain out the inlet hose when the pump is not turned on?

Thanks

Hi guys,

I have a 4.45m stacer CC. I have bought one of those plastic fish boxes and am going to cut a hole in the back corner of the boat to flush mount it as a live bait tank.

I have a 3/4 inch host attached to bilge pump and pickup-scoop and have bought a 1-1/2 inch hose for the overflow.

Obviously the overflow goes at the top of the box, but where should I put the inlet hose? In the past I have also put the inlet host at the top but have read that this does not circulate the water as well. Is it okay to put the inlet hose at the bottom? Or will water then drain out the inlet hose when the pump is not turned on?

Thanks

hi if you put the inlet at the bottom of the tank you will have to put a non return valve in the line or it will drain the water out when pump is off i have had 3 boats with live bait tanks with the in let at the top and all have worked ok .hop this helped pappy

Yeah, thanks. I thought that might be the case. I'll just put the inlet hose at the top.

It is not a big tank (maybe 20 litres) so don't think water circulation will be an issue.

Any ideas on the best way to cust out a square in the aluminium to fit the box in? I was going to pick up a cordless angle grinder to do the work.

Thanks

the inlet should be at the top, higher then the outlet if possible. I have a sccop for water pick up as well and have a valve/tap to stop the water flow into the live bait tank when I don't want it

Maybe use a jigsaw to cut the section out as long as there is nothing the blade will hit. Use a drill to create the corners then cut the straight lines. Watch the sparks when using an angle grinder. They can damage the paint or worse if close to fuel lines.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks for the tip Nick.

I will be working right next to the fuel tank and may have overlooked that fact (could have ended in disaster). They have some cordless angle grinders at bunnings but do you think this be powerful enough? Or should I go a non-cordless model? I have an old jigsaw but do I need any special blades for cutting aluminium?

Thanks

Thanks for the tip Nick.

I will be working right next to the fuel tank and may have overlooked that fact (could have ended in disaster). They have some cordless angle grinders at bunnings but do you think this be powerful enough? Or should I go a non-cordless model? I have an old jigsaw but do I need any special blades for cutting aluminium?

Thanks

Can you put up a pic of the area your planning to cut out. This would be of assistance when responding.

Approx , what thickness is the material your planning to cut

For cutting aluminium a fine tooth blade is required . Suggest you take the jigsaw to your local hardware store. They will provide the correct blade for the job.

I would definatly avoid using an angle grinder

Follow Nick's advice , this is the way to go

Use a jigsaw to cut the section out as long as there is nothing the blade will hit. Use a drill to create the corners then cut the straight lines

Remember the old saying " Measure twice , cut once "

Geoff

River bouy Forgot to mention this in my previous post.

As others have advised , the inlet & outlet should be at the top. Assuming you go this way , there needs to be a third fitting at the bottom for the drain hole.

For interest I only have 2 fittings , inlet at the top & an out let / drain hole at the bottom. The water height is controled by the height of the plastic tube ( condute ) The tube is a force fit & is easily removed to drain the tank

Geoff

post-731-1238972007_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tips Geoff.

I don't have access to a camera at the moment but I was thinking of doing it just like the picture you posted. The area is just flat aluminium but smaller in size than in your pic.

If I go to a boat shop and by a 1-1/2 inch hose fitting to put through the box (one with a hose connector at each side) can I just buy a piece of plastic tubing like you have that will fit over the inside section?

I will use a jigsaw rather than an angle grinder (more control is the reason I suppose?)

Thanks

Thanks for the tips Geoff.

I don't have access to a camera at the moment but I was thinking of doing it just like the picture you posted. The area is just flat aluminium but smaller in size than in your pic.

If I go to a boat shop and by a 1-1/2 inch hose fitting to put through the box (one with a hose connector at each side) can I just buy a piece of plastic tubing like you have that will fit over the inside section?

I will use a jigsaw rather than an angle grinder (more control is the reason I suppose?)

Thanks

R.B. Fitting. The item you require is called a skin fitting , there about $8.00 each & available from most boat shops.

The plastic tube is electrical conduit. Unfortunatly it only comes in lengths around 4 mt long. Ask around , perhaps one of you friends has an off cut in their garage , If not I think I have a piece in the sheed

The size , 20mm OD

Geoff

R.B. Fitting. The item you require is called a skin fitting , there about $8.00 each & available from most boat shops.

The plastic tube is electrical conduit. Unfortunatly it only comes in lengths around 4 mt long. Ask around , perhaps one of you friends has an off cut in their garage , If not I think I have a piece in the sheed

The size , 20mm OD

Geoff

You can pick up the white pvc pipe in lengths of 4ft from B@#@!!ings