What Does It All Mean?

Wantingaboat

Hi all,

In my last post regarding the towing capacity of my car i was asked about the plate on my trailer so i took some pictures. Can anyone tell me what it all means? It says total mass i think is 560kg so i may be over my 550kg limit for the Yaris. Anyway any help is welcome.

post-9512-1239141913_thumb.jpg

post-9512-1239141924_thumb.jpg

Thanks. Mike.

Just an update on the tow bar install. I rang everyone in the Yellow Pages and nothing. Some had the part but couldnt fit it as had too much on. A raider came up with a place i hadnt rung yet so i called them and yes a 2:00pm opening through a cancellation. They didnt have the part but rang their suppliers so i am picking up the tow bar at 1pm then driving to the fitting place for my 2pm opening. Another success through fishraider. Thanks to all that replied. Another thing is that someone suggested to call around and that is very true. Prices varied anywhere from $350 - $600 for the exact same job. Mike.

ps. I will let you know after easter if the yaris is back out the front of my house or at the bottom of drummoyne boat ramp. :wacko:

Edited by Wantingaboat

Just an update on the tow bar install. I rang everyone in the Yellow Pages and nothing. Some had the part but couldnt fit it as had too much on. A raider came up with a place i hadnt rung yet so i called them and yes a 2:00pm opening through a cancellation. They didnt have the part but rang their suppliers so i am picking up the tow bar at 1pm then driving to the fitting place for my 2pm opening. Another success through fishraider. Thanks to all that replied. Another thing is that someone suggested to call around and that is very true. Prices varied anywhere from $350 - $600 for the exact same job. Mike.

ps. I will let you know after easter if the yaris is back out the front of my house or at the bottom of drummoyne boat ramp. :wacko:

Hi Wantingabout I had a look on Google for a Toyota Yaris car that you mentioned you have.... Is this like the one you are fitting a tow bar to, and is a Yaris suited to the weight of the Brooker and the trailer is it?

post-829-1239151379_thumb.jpg

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hey Jewgaffer. Yes thats the car i have. Well as far as my research goes.... On their website it says maximum towing capacity is 550kg(without trailer brakes) but in my driving manual in the glove box it says 700kg. Now i will go with the smaller amount to be safe. As i said before the the boat weighs 150kg(does that sound right to you?) the engine weighs 69kg and the trailer weighs 160kg. The total of that is 379kg. Now with the tanks and electric motor i added about 80kg taking it to somewhere near 460kg. To me that sounds within its limits but i am sure you have had experience in towing with small cars, maybe. I am a cautious driver and will be even more cautious when towing a trailer.

Cheers Mike.

Hey Byron,

.......I just put a reply up to your question on my thread on boating and would value your opinion when you get a chance......

Cheers. Mike.

Mike if a mechanical adviser on cars towing boats was only the head and torso of a statue, he'd be like the ones I've tried to follow in the past .....So with boats and tow vehicles you have to work out how much head room you have under the limits of the tow behicle and weigh it all up yourself....... Looks like there is a 1.0 litre and a 1.3 litre in Toyota Yaris models and they described as a "super mini" but not a good as others in the class mainly in the handling department has been said ... Which one do you have the 1.0 litre or the 1.3 litre model ? Also are yours 14inch wheels are they ? .... What size wheels are on the trailer...... if they are nines or tens you get faster revolutions and free spin....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

my 134 says only 110kg on the plate and rego papers.

anyways ive seen a honda jazz (1.5/CVT) easily pull a fully decked out 4.2 runabout out of kyeemagh before, so the yaris should be fine for the short runs. just make sure there isnt any sand covering the ramp.

Sometimes you lose me Bryron. From the plates on the trailer i assume that next wheel size it says 13 so i guess 13 inch wheels. Its a 1.3l version in automatic transmission. I am actually out at the shop now and using their computer. Hehe. Had to drive to botany to get it and then here. Bast*&@d of a drive but i am so happy that i can use the boat over easter. I hope the fishing doesnt let me down. I didnt know about the handling but i am pretty sure that the yaris has a good safety rating which may indicate that the brakes of decent quality. I had a 10,000km service for the car last week and they said the brakes were in excellent condition (maybe BS but who knows).

as long as you don't need to travel up too many hills/mountains you should be ok, the Yaris should have enough power to tow your boat around, but you will feel the weight behind you.

Just take it easy when towing.

Good luck with the fishing, were abouts will you be fishing over Easter? We're going to trying the Hawksbury very early Sat morning, and probably Botany Bay early Monday morning.