Fishing Around Botany Bay

souci

Hi all,

i am trying to keep up with the fishing keeness of my 6 year old.

so far we just go to Sandringham (near the st george sailing club) and catch

sand whiting....but he's keen to catch different/bigger fish (he's a rex hunt clone on the

catch - release with kiss)...

i don't know the areas well...can anyone suggest some spots (not boating)

cheers

SOuci

Georges River is great. Went there today with no fish but many fisherman their and saw many catch fish. Its a great river

Hi Matt,

sounds good, do you mind telling me where abouts you saw that, i'm not familiar with Georges RIver.

thanks

Sans

Yeah sure.

There are many fishers along the river but i fished at Picnic Point on Georges River. I went to many other parks along the river and saw good fishing places. travel along the river and find a nice place to fish.

Hey Sans,

A few spots I head to are Illawong. This spot is great as you can park right next 2 the spot. Either fish at the end of Old Ferry Road or go around the roundabout and take your first left into the car park and there are a couple of platforms to cast off. I've always had more success here fishing the run out tide from midday onwards. Another is Lugarno. Head right to the end Forest Rd and there is a boardwalk there to cast off. I've also tried Oatley Point but you have to cast off a little high so may not be the safest.

Cheers,

Damian

Hey Sans,

A few spots I head to are Illawong. This spot is great as you can park right next 2 the spot. Either fish at the end of Old Ferry Road or go around the roundabout and take your first left into the car park and there are a couple of platforms to cast off. I've always had more success here fishing the run out tide from midday onwards. Another is Lugarno. Head right to the end Forest Rd and there is a boardwalk there to cast off. I've also tried Oatley Point but you have to cast off a little high so may not be the safest.

Cheers,

Damian

Hi Damian,

Wow!....this is very informative....what bait do i use..only been using prawns at the moment (i'll have

to widen my knowledge about these areas!)

thanks for the heads up

Sans

No worries Sans.

For bait the best to use would be live bait such as poddies (small mullet). To catch them use a small bait trap. Theres quite a few threads on this site about building them and how to use them. You can also catch them with a float and bread.

If you don't want to use poddies or can't catch them (which often happens to me) you can also use chicken breast and steak strips. This bait tends to stay on longer and doesn't get taken as quick from all the little pickers like prawns do. I've got bream and whiting using this bait.

Cheers,

Damian