Rod Holders For Kings

Wantingaboat

Hi Again Raiders,

A while back i saw some pictures of what looked like home made rod holders for kings. They looked really solid but simple. I think it was just a metal rod with a short metal cylinder on top. About 3 inches long. I guess the butt fits in there. I have read so many reports of rod holders being snapped by big kings. Now i am not saying that i catch big kings but there will be a day, hopefully soon, and i dont want to be let down by the rod holder breaking in half.

Another thing is that i have 30 degree flush mounted holders but i have observed others having ones that almost sit horizontal or a little bit more vetical. Now when a king hits, these the rods in the flush mounted holders bend so much i think they are going to break and i almost fall out rushing over to it. I am sure there are better ones out there. If anyone knows the ones i am talking about or has better suggestions i am all ears. Cheers. Mike.

Hi Again Raiders,

A while back i saw some pictures of what looked like home made rod holders for kings. They looked really solid but simple. I think it was just a metal rod with a short metal cylinder on top. About 3 inches long. I guess the butt fits in there. I have read so many reports of rod holders being snapped by big kings. Now i am not saying that i catch big kings but there will be a day, hopefully soon, and i dont want to be let down by the rod holder breaking in half.

Another thing is that i have 30 degree flush mounted holders but i have observed others having ones that almost sit horizontal or a little bit more vetical. Now when a king hits, these the rods in the flush mounted holders bend so much i think they are going to break and i almost fall out rushing over to it. I am sure there are better ones out there. If anyone knows the ones i am talking about or has better suggestions i am all ears. Cheers. Mike.

Why don't you just drop the drag whilst the rod is in the rod holder? You'll also be able to get it out of the holder easier too.

I dont ever have a rod on full strike when its not in my hand.

I have plastic flush mounts and I dont think it will ever be the weakest link.

Jeff

My flush mounted rod holders are decent stainless ones and i cant see them breaking however i am not sure whether this is the correct angle the rods should be at. I watched a charter pull in loads of kings and i believe that the holders they were using were a lot more horizontal than mine. Where we were fishing there is a wreck below not far below the surface so if the drag is set too light then you will get smoked, like i did twice on Saturday.

Anyone seen the holders i am talking about??? I am sure the post was on here. They arent the ones that celephod(i am sure the spelling is wrong please excuse) even though those ones are wicked. I am just a bit tight at the moment and those look a bit pricey.... Cheers Mike.

Anyone seen the holders i am talking about??? I am sure the post was on here. They arent the ones that celephod(i am sure the spelling is wrong please excuse) even though those ones are wicked. I am just a bit tight at the moment and those look a bit pricey.... Cheers Mike.

Hi Ray

You need as much strength as you can get in rod holders regardless of the type of fishing you do and especially when you use the tight drag method leaving the rod in a rod holder and having the rod and reel do the hook up ........ Normal line bloom out and the leeway in line to rod tip angle gives sufficient margin for a decent size fish to run off and then come to a jolting stop as the drag takes over, that is if the fish is capable of turning the reel by the time a decent rod and a reel on very tight drag deals with it.

It would pay you to consider using the same 360 degrees adjustable stainless steel rod holders that I use, shown in the photo. They are heavy duty marine grade stainless steel rail mounts and there is no way they will slip around a handrail once the bolts and nuts are tightened....... The angle of your rod spread can be adjusted once off on the water to keep your lines separate from one another by changing the angle of the centre toothed unit using the Allen Key they supply and turning the rod holder upwards or downwards.

post-829-1229039212_thumb.jpg

These rod holders are U.S patented Tommy Marine brand and are now made to U.S specs in China under another brand name and are available over here for about $35.00 each Extra stainless steel grab rails, the bolt on type in stainless cost around $23.00 each.

I have a friend who wanted to use the same rail mount rod holders and had to install extra hand rails by cutting inspection ports into the side of his boat. From what I can see of the boat in your pic, you have access to be able to tighten up the s/s grab rail nuts from underneath.

Also I have been led to believe that the anodes on the outboard take care of the electrolysis issue between stainless and alloy and have never seen evidence of a problem so far but buy a separator substance all the same and apply to the direct contact points which are at the base of the fittings in the s/s hand rails and the s/s mounting hardware.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Wantingboat.... Take a look at my reply above to another post and the pic below of the rail mount rod holders that I have on my Savage... Below is a pic of the same brand rail mounts that I left on my previous boat and I had the same brand on a Yalta daycab before that....... I find these rail mount rod holders best suit my rod spread and a once adjustment on the water gives me all the angles I require.....

Here is a pic of the same brand rod holders on the previous boat I owned, a fibre glass Mustang centre console open boat which has a circular bow lounge.

These s/s rail mounts are good value over here, now that they are made in China to the same U.S. specs.....

post-829-1239618145_thumb.jpg Mustang

post-829-1239621132_thumb.jpg Savage

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

Thanks Byron for the pictures. Do you ever have any issues with them slipping when a king or jew hits them and the drag on you reels is set quite tight?

If you mean issues with slipping with near locked up drag when playing something like a hippopotumus on an Alvey deck winch I could understand that, but no way in the world would I allow that to happen, I would be using a Penn 9500 :D

You could just about have a four wheel drive towed out of a bog with a chain attached to just one of my rod holders, provided that the tow truck operator's chain and the bull bar configuration was up to it :thumbup:

Cheers

:Funny-Post: Byron you continue to amaze me with your humour. Sounds like thgey might be the go. I have contacted brickman about making some of the ones that celephod(spelling??) has. Have you seen them? Otherwise is there anywhere to acquire you US made ones?

Cheers. Mike.

G- day wanting a boat, I have snapped all four of my plastic rod holders. I have an alloy boat & tried stainless flush mount holders installed correctly with rubber gasket and marine grade sikka only to have them badly corrode my boat. I have removed the stainless repaired the corrosion & installed new aluminium flush mounts that are awesome. I cant believe how hard it was to find the aluminum holders considering how many ally boats are out there,stainless is great on glass boats but only causes problems with ally.

:Funny-Post: Byron you continue to amaze me with your humour. Sounds like thgey might be the go. I have contacted brickman about making some of the ones that celephod(spelling??) has. Have you seen them? Otherwise is there anywhere to acquire you US made ones?

Cheers. Mike.

Hi Wantingaboat, I rather like Ceph's double welded rail mount rod holders myself. The important part with rod holders mounted in pairs or groups all around an open fishing boat, is to spend a little time with each rod in your hand and make the necessary fine adjustments I.E. - in order to work out the optimum mounting positions, I.E the actual distances apart and the exact angle you need each rod holder to be mounted at..... For example you can't have all your rod holders on one side of the boat mounted at the same forward angle as one line will either run into the other/s or will sit over the adjacent rod tip/s etc....nor can you have them turned at the same angle which has to be towards the stern in all cases.........

Importantly, in the case of fixed welded rod holders, get the positioning and all the angles as close to perfect as you can - so that you can easily handle a multi rod spread.... In other words careful fine tuning is necessary in the case of all rail mounts and particularly before welding of same takes place ....

In my case I originally imported a bulk supply of my current stainless steel rail mounts from the U.S. for a deep sea boat I owned and also for a small tinny......

As far as positioning fixed double welded rod holders and if it were me doing what I know is necessary now, I would tow my boat down to Gary Brickman's workshop and take an assortment of rigged up rods with me, get into my boat and get Gary to work along with me and mark the position and angle of each rod, so that the line of one rod won't interfere with the tip of the other rod/s... and particularly so that the rod spread all works together in cases of wind and natural line bloom out towards the stern in currents etc....

Once you have positioned rail mounts properly, it should even work out the same when you are fishing side on, on either side regardless of current.... {If you ever have to wind up slack on any rod that's been out for a while, jig the bait up a bit to feel the weight of the bait and let it drop down again slowly each time if just to reposition the bait}.....

When I took my boat over to Gary's worshop, I would have a third person to actually pull line out of a rod held against the rail and carry the line towards the stern so that each rodholder can be slightly angled up or down to keep each rod and its line higher than the other where necessary (start from either the stern or the bow end to re- determine the starting end) and do the side adjustments so as to get the correct angle towards the stern, including the two or three rod holders that have to be mounted at side each of the bow to be used either by yourself when neeed be or by the bow fishermen...

You need to have as many rod holders as you can fish with and you need to include storage of spare rods, gaff etc ........You already have no shortage of built in rails on your Brooker so there is no need for you to lay out several hundreds of dollars and buy the necessary number of pre made stainless steel rod holders to complete that part of your set up.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer