Extream Low Tide

Stanfo

If a king tide is a big high tide than what is an extream low one? The reason I ask is that on a visit to my local river this afternoon the tide was at least 1-1.5 m lower than it usually is. Not sure how it is in other places but this was freaky, my faverourite flatty spinning spots were all on dry land, I thought sea levels were rising. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated

Cheers Stanfo

If a king tide is a big high tide than what is an extream low one? The reason I ask is that on a visit to my local river this afternoon the tide was at least 1-1.5 m lower than it usually is. Not sure how it is in other places but this was freaky, my faverourite flatty spinning spots were all on dry land, I thought sea levels were rising. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated

Cheers Stanfo

Rising sea levels have nothing to do with tides my friend.

Rising sea levels increases the sea in millimeters over many many years.

I'm not sure how often king tides come, but they certainly do and it's all got to do with the gravitational pull of the moon.

When the moon is closer, it pulls harder and when it's further: the lower tide comes in.

your local river had a low tide which resulted in the dry rocks, this is a very good thing when you have a run in tide to catch some fish! (they come for the food in the rocks)

I'm not sure how often king tides come, but they certainly do and it's all got to do with the gravitational pull of the moon.

And the Sun! The added effects of the suns gravitational pull results in a King tide.

Wikipedia tells me that only the Aussies and pacific islanders refer to it as a King tide. I wonder what else it's called.

Thanks for the replies Raiders the the rising sea levels joke was probably misplaced, so to recap the moon was probably closer to, and on the other side of the Earth resulting in a extream low tide. Did any other raiders notice this unusual phenomenon?