Rock Fishing Spots & Tips

Guest MarkD

Guest MarkD

Hi Fella's,

Ive been getting into the rock fishing of late with limited success but I am keen to persevere.

So far all of my trips have been around the central coast; Catherine Hill Bay, Snapper Point and Wybung.

Obviously one key to rock fishing is getting there early before the crowds. To that end I am hoping some of the Sydney locals can point me in the right direction for some spots closer to home e.g. Northern Beaches...Not looking for secret spots just some general guidance.

Also would be happy to buddy up with any experienced rock hoppers! :biggrin2: for safety, company and a few tips.

Thanks

Mark

Guest Jocool

One spot I used to fish a lot is down south. Its called Voodoo Point, and is Part of the Kurnell National Park. I used to be able to drive my car right up to the ledge and walk about 20 meteres the rest of the way. Now there is about 150 m walk.

Its a high ledge so fairly safe. You can get down on the lower ledges if you want but not recommended in any sort of lumpy sea as you have nowhere to run! I used to fish it using bobby corks with the bait about 3 m below. Alternatively, if I wanted to fish the bottom I would use spark plugs on a light patternoster so if it snagged I wouldnt loose lead! :thumbup:

DON'T collect any bait there. Its not allowed!

I got a million and one rock spots in and around sydney, There aren't too many stretches of rock I haven't fished. :biggrin2: Let me know what sort of fish you are targetting, what gear you have too like rod lengths and do you have rock cleats??

Guest MarkD

Thanks Tyrone, planning to be uo the central coast over easter so will defo have some questions for you.

Bashir,

The gear I'd be intending on using:

New 12ft Daiwa Beah/Rock rod rated 12 - 25lb line with a new penn Applause 6000

Abu Overhead graphite Carbon 12ft beach rod with an Abu Ambassadeur 6003 (Rod is much stiffer than the Daiwa but reel is probably a bit small for the rod)

11ft "Greys" Spinning Rod with a 6000 Titan runner 10 ball bearing egg beater - both are European brands and are intended for spinning for Atlantic Salmon (which can go big!)

Traget species would be Kingies, Tailor and Salmon or even Snapper but Im not sure how realistic that is.

Dont have clamps as they are not necessary at the spots I've fished so far but would be willing to get then if necessary.

thanks mate and i look forward to your reply

Guest MarkD
there is heaps of places on the northern beaches, ive only just started getting into the rocks properly and i like a little spot that is on the northern side of the beach that is on the northern side of narrabeen (cant think of its name)...

I'm heading out early tomorrow morning for a few hours and im thinking of trying bluefish point but i'll see what happens...

37065[/snapback]

Be interested to hear how you go Chris

I have not fished sydney areas at all but no most central coast rocks spots fairly well. So tell us if u want info on avoca, copa, winney or macs these are my mainly fished rock spots. Cheers Tyrone

37055[/snapback]

If you want info on these areas... AVOID them... :biggrin2: Great fishing, if you like being sandwiched between 10,000 other blokes... :thumbdown: (winny bay stil ok so far)

Seriously I am the same as tyrone, only fished local rocks (central coast), port stephens, QLD areas and seals rocks areas. Off rocks.

Tight lines m8, hope you find a winner spot, and if ya do tell us about it, and next time I'm in the syd area will flick one.

I am no expert on the stones of the nth'n beaches but i was brought up fishing on them and the beaches with my grandpa and dad who was local down that way for majority of his life..

the spot you are thinking of is little narra fishn allso know as turrameta or something llike that..

A few of the spots i believe that are good start would be nth and south whale -- usually plenty of live bait around the area with your normal pelagics caught from here quite often..gets the crowds on land and plenty of boats that like to come in close..nth whale is usually a safer rock platform with the swells and has access to much deeper water than the south side..

Avalon aslo has access to deeper water and is beaut snapper and kingy spots but is a bit of a bitch to walk into but thats what rocks fishing is all about isnt it :biggrin2:

Sth bungan,Mona and Warriewood are also good snapper,bream and salmon spots but i allways have trouble with snags there but it could just be me.. :thumbdown:

If you would like a few more spots or want me to be a bit more specific send me a PM

cheers,

Rob

Joe lol voodoo a long time since i fished there about 40yrs it used to be a great spot my grandparents had a weekender on the hill to council made then tear it down may a fond childhood time...apologies more than I have said here in 4yrs lol but sitting here enjoying a chardonney reminising

Many rock fishing spots that I have encountered generally only tend to fish well at change of light, unless you are after blackfish or drummer.

Being able to blackfish off the rocks will often enable you to take home a feed when other species are absent. You also do not have to be there at the crack of dawn to catch them either! You will have to fish down low, so safety becomes a major issue, but if you are careful, the rewards can be pretty good, particularly at this time of the year.

Another suggestion is to look for spots that can be fished from high rocks or even cliffs. Such spots often fish well after a big blow, using pilchards or gars fished under big bobby corks. A big Alvey is the only way to fish such spots, but they can sometimes produce great results