Do You Think A King Would Smash These Rod Holders

framedtrash

im replacing the rod holders in my boat with some nice stainless steel ones

then i saw these and was thinking i might get them as well since i run 2 release clips off the one downrigger

but do you think these would do ok against a big king and with the slight possibility of a double hookup ??

"Holds three rods at one time. Designed to fit snugly into a flush mount rod holder. Constructed from aluminium and nylon plastic. The joint connecting the post to the holders pivots with a tightening screw used change direction of rod holders. The centre rod holder has a quick release mechanism fitted so that you can get to your rod easily when needed"

72088_lg.jpg

Hi FT,

I asked a similar question yesterday about rod holders for kings. Those ones that you show look ok but i would want to overdo it not just be adequate. With the costs of some rods/reels going into the thousands i find it hard to believe people are so careless with the rod holders they use. Gary Bricknell is actually making up a number of rod holders that cephalopod has which i have put a link below for you to see. From reading on this site, that fella has lost not one but two stellas, even though by fluke he got them back.

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...p;hl=rod+holder

I think, from my research goes, that those are snapper racks and not great for the meter plus kings. I know some will argue about losening the drag and it will be ok but for some areas, like over a reef, you cant give them that much line or else it will be bye bye for your leader. It happened to me twice on Saturday and i was using 50pound leader which i dont consider too light. Others will be able to tell more. Cephalopod seems to be in the know so maybe he could shed some more light on the strength of these.

Cheers Mike.

yeh i just walked over to the shop and took a look

i like my tight drag too much i think a big king would bend the thing in half

i plan on running 2 rods off the 1 downrigger so i want to have 2 rods off one side of the boat

what do you think of these ones

there all stainless steel and have been double welded to ensure strength

the center pole is one part that black thing in the middle is just a rubber plug to make a snug fit into the current rod holder

cf16_1.JPG

Like i said before i want to overdo it when i am installing rod holders. Now i am sure those are designed for snapper but its up to you. I know it may sound stupid but if two decent kings hit the DR at the same time i think that thing would bend but i havent seen it in the flesh. You need to try and get one of the king killers like dogtooth or cephalopod to havev a look.

Edited by Wantingaboat

Ive had an 80lb outfit snap rivettes holding in a flushmount rod holder.

Don't under estimate the amount of pressure that a fish can pull especially with longer rods and the leverage factor thats created. Heavy king tackle, the use of braid, big drags and the rod angles used on those things I personally don't think they match....

You better have another look at the rod lanyard post as well!

Greg

Hey Guys

I would recommend strong and sturdy rod holders for chasing Kings. Also Make sure you clip a lanyard to the reel.

I remember reading some of cephalpods post last year about him almost crying to the loss of his stellas from poorly made plastic rod holders that just snap when a kingie takes it and leave the fisherman crying.

So don't go soft if looking to chase the big ones, use strong gear.

Cheers

Steve

Mate dont like those bent wire type rod holders (pic of in your 2nd post) have seen rods bounce out of them before. Had a garden hose holder (pre water restrictions) like that and it was hopeless. Reckon the stainless flushmount holders are the go.

Curious as to how you set up for twin clips on the down rigger ?

John

Those holders will fail. I am yet to find an off the shelf rod holder (other than deck mounted flush type) which can cope with locked drags and big Kings or Jews.

Have some stainless steel or heavy gauge aluminium ones made and bolt (not screw) or weld them to your boat.

TENOB make a nylon insert which tpas into the end to protect your reel stem from scratches.

These are mine and I have tested them to the limit of my gear and they work a treat. The holders are sandwiched to the fibreglass gunwale with an ss plate on the underside and 10mm ss bolts.

Edited by Cephalopod

thanks for the advice guys

ive gone with flush stainless steel

as for the 2nd downrigger clip im going to see how it goes this weekend

might just add another rod holder a bit further up then the current one but have it at a different angle so the rods dont clash

or i might just scrap the second one and just get another downrigger some where down the track

its yet to hit the water so ive gotta catch some fish before i start thinking of 2 DRs

thanks again

I saw the ones you slot into your rod holder on IFISH looked pretty sturdy to me, but they didn't show any fish being hooked on it, plus the rods sit horizontally to the water which decreases the chance of your rod going in the drink ( I think...)