Opening The Account.

New outfit in hand, I launched the canoe down at the Ross this morning at the crack of dawn. I was workin shallow running hardbodies along the weed dropoffs for the first 40 min, with no sniffs. Switched to some slightly deeper divers and instant success. Took two in about 15 minutes. 59cm and about 55cm. They didnt take long to subdue, and didnt jump either. They both just plugged away deep under the canoe. Absolutely awesome fun!!!!!! :biggrin2:

Somehow I think Ill find an excuse to get back on the water again tomorrow.

Matt.

post-162-1111037929_thumb.jpg

Guest Jocool

Beautiful! :thumbup: Good going Matt. I'm sure you will find an excuse to get back on the water! :risata:

Is that a new species for you?

Yeah Jo, its the Ross in Townsville. Apparently there are plenty of em in there, some big metre plus ones aswell. Weirs divide sections of the river and they are stocked fairly regularly. The weeds a bit of a bugger though. Its sometimes hard to get a good run. Gonna bury my head in the books now.......try to free up some time for tomorrow....

Hey fellas,

Swoff. New outfit is a loomis CR663IMX and a Daiwa Alphas, spooled with 20lb Bionic. Its a sweet little combo. On the lighter side of things for barra (traditionally), but I prefer it that way. It easily subdued the 2 today. So should be spot on for some decent sized ones. The rod has a really short butt which is great to hold, and is awesome for fishing around cover. The blank is slender (as thin or thiner than my bream rods!), yet has plenty of balls..... Its pretty fast action too, so I can throw unweighted stickbaits as well as traditional barra cranks. And the reel, well you know how good it is, Ive read your previous posts. I cant stop looking at it, amazing.......:drool:

Pedro. Yes there are Crocs in there! :o But only freshies. Apparently they're really timid. You're unlikely to ever see one, let alone bump into one.

Either way. You wont see me dangling my feet in the water to cool down......

Matt.

Edited by junglejunky

I reckon I'll be heading up to see sis :1prop:

We used to swim in that River when we were kids :1yikes: and didn't get eaten so I reckon you're right about them being timid.

I haven't been up there since 83 so I reckon a trip must be in order.

Did you catch them on bait or lures?

Yep, Halco Laser pro 120dd 2m+ Rob. Im told you catch more on liveys though.

Pat Ive heard that about the small barra going nuts when the fresh pours over the weirs. I cant wait. Hasn't been much rain up here this season, so I dont know if its gonna happen. The river's all choked up with weed. Reminds me of the nepean.